It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mourn the Fallen Challenge - The Eulogy Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:57 pm 
Cleaner

The end of BSG was a very emotional thing for many of us and whether we loved that last episode or hated it, most of us here mourn BSG’s passing. And we all mourn the passing of our beloved characters, and our beloved series, whether that passing was literal and they “died” during the course of the series, or whether they “died” in a less obvious way – the death of innocence, the death of conscience, death-resurrection-poof, or some other kind of theoretical death that you can think of.

This thread is reserved for non-fiction and non-graphical acts of mourning or remembrance. In the tradition of a eulogy, share your own memories and thoughts of the show and its characters, life, passing, and legacy. This is not meant to be a place for debate, but for individuals to remember or mourn in ways that don't traditionally fall into "creative endeavors".

Post subject: Re: Mourn the Fallen Challenge - The Eulogy Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 pm 
Cleaner

Just after the UN Panel on BSG, MrsRon asked people to share their thoughts on the meaning of BSG. I wrote the following in response:

Quote:
What do I think the meaning of BSG is? In my opinion BSG is about taking us out of our comfort zones and making us think about alternative perspectives. BSG has done this with the very serious topics listed by MrsRon in the original post but also for the topics that *fans* make important, such as when our favorite characters or ships are put into controversial situations or ones that jeopardize our own understandings of them or what we want for or expect from them.

I don't like BSG because Ron and David and Company decided to make it as dark as they possibly could - in fact, I have mixed feelings about the desire to go as dark as possible by default. Yet, even this supports my point. The darkness has been one of the aspects of the show that I have thought deeply about and the ways in which the focus on darkness has or has not affected the portrayal of the characters I love. The point remains that BSG made me think. It didn't just let me sit there and watch brain dead or give me a happy squee every once in a while. It kept me up at nights thinking about what I'd just watched, got me posting on issues that challenged me, and even had me writing a bit of fanfiction.

One last thing that BSG means to me: friendship. I have met some amazing people through my participation in BSG fandom. A few of them are among the people I care about the most in the world. In the end, this they will be what BSG means the most to me.

This was written the week before the finale. I think it is safe to say that the finale further challenged us and made us think. What I didn't expect, however, is that the challenge would also involve cherished friendships. While some friendships have been strengthened over the past few weeks, others have been strained or broken. I have said repeatedly to people that I am not mourning any characters or the ending of BSG. I am, however, mourning the sense of camaraderie and the security I felt in my fandom friendships.

Despite this, I still see my involvement in fandom as positive. BSG enriched my life, sometimes in unexpected ways. I have done some serious thinking and even soul searching about my reaction to story arcs, fandom debates, and my participation in all of it. I have made what I hope will be lifelong friends through fandom. I have experimented with writing and graphics. I have become involved in Caleb's Hope, helping the world community in my own small way because one day my husband and I decided to watch BSG instead of something else. Not a bad legacy for what is, afterall, just a work of fiction.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:20 am 
Administrator

BSG means friends to me as well, and having Gaius Baltar, of all things, make me actually consider my stance on god.

More later. I worked a mere 10 1/2 hours today and I can't think.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:29 pm 
Officer of the Deck

As much as I mourn the end of the show, BSG will never really end for me. The friends that I have made because of this show have changed my worldview and my life. BSG lives on in them. :hugs: