It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New-Caprica Boomer action figure
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:27 am 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Today I got my NewCapBoomer figure (Diamond Select Toys, Toys 'R US exclusive). (found on EBay - I guess I'll receive Rose's package very soon; anyway, I wanted two of them)
It's one of the best "Grace Park" face I've seen on an action figure. And it's the first really available yet. (not counting the often seen-but-never-released-prototypes) There must be a variability, but mine is very well "drawn".

A little bitching, if you don't mind:
Boomer has *never* been seen with a weapon after KLG2. (I used this in my fic Another Perfect Day) That's not very fair. That's even scandalous *. And why has she the "Cylon Device"?
Look at the text: After being reborn and discovering her true Cylon nature, the Number Eight model known as Boomer sided against her former friends and helped the Cylons maintain their occupation of New Caprica. Simplistic, and and not much fair either. No Caprica-Boomer quixotic "Live in Peace" project?

The pict' on the right bottom comes from Eye Of Jupiter, btw. Boomer never wore this outfit on New-Caprica. (I'll check again, but I'm quite sure) She was seen in it in Rapture, too.
I found an almost perfect match:

EOJ, 15th mn, just before "That's Boomer" :scowl:

Anyway, that's great to have a Boomie action figure now!

* I didn't expect her to come with a dove, but seriously, a gun and a Cylon Device? Maybe Diamond Select Toys knows something we don't... > The Plan? oh my... (did Boomer bring the Cylon Device aboard Galactica, in the miniseries?)

Post subject: Re: New-Caprica Boomer action figure
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:16 pm 
Administrator

Bear in mind, my friend, that these figures were cobbled together because they had nothing ready when the first wave sold out at lightspeed; Toys R' Us wasn't ready for the response and neither was Diamond Select. This current wave is a flung-together assortment of a rejected Boomer figure (remember the one with the loose hair and the terrible face, a while back, called New Caprica Boomer, that was supposed to be a 2 pack with D'anna?), a Lee Adama head on the Chief's body, and an existing Cylon painted with a red stripe (which admittedly looks pretty cool.) She's wearing uniform pants in both sculpts, old and new, so I assume a uniform Sharon had been planned for quite a while, unless they are using the Cain lower body sculpt, which is totally possible.

Boomer's current outfit is a repaint of that body, and I believe they are using the new Boomer head sculpt, with ponytail. (The link opens a bigger picture.)
http://bp1.blogger.com/_u81gIbRKAvI/Rq1ku_On7rI/AAAAAAAAA94/dFyVszUVqg4/s1600-h/BSGfiguresAthena.jpeg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:36 pm 

Yeah, that's a good analysis. Indeed, it's a repaint. (you meant Downloaded Boomer - never seen, even Grace said "that doesn't look like me", I guess)
They were lucky that the outfits are quite similar - the pockets are wrong, though. Doing such a thing from scratch must be expensive?

edit: oops, I checked ( future Boomer & Athena figures ), you're right, that was supposed to be "New Caprica Sharon", but with a Downloaded (100% accurate: brown coat, dark red shirt/whatever clothe piece under it) outfit. Losers!

In Downloaded, Boomer wore indeed military pants, since she changed only the top after her exercise. (scene with Caprica in her apartment) But it was a different pant. (greenish, with pockets) So this one could come from the Razor wave... check... yes, it's exactly the same as Kendra's. (the only other non-minimate action figure I have)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:52 pm 
Administrator

As to the accessories, I think they just threw together what they had; I think (don't quote me, not totally sure) that the Sixes came with the Cylon Device, and that belt and holster is standard issue. I am more entranced by the shiny silver shoes than anything else.

Why EVER did you doubt that I was right? :smack:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:49 pm 

Heh, I'm the Sc/keptical Weird One. :B-cat: (I really need a platypus emoticon)

As a matter of fact, I don't know with which objects the Sixes came. They don't always display the boxes in the online stores. At least, I can say that Gina has a gun and something I can't identify. (seen at http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/sear ... battlestar)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:29 pm 
Constable

Well, it looks good no matter it's history. :)

Did they ever release the Sharon bust...or any of them for that matter?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:55 am 
Administrator

Best of anyone's knowing, the Boomer and Helo figures are still "pre-order" and haven't yet been released. They aren't listed on Diamond Select's website anymore, either. That does appear to be the sculpt used on the current Boomer figure, though- I think they took the head off the prototype bust and used that one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:29 am 

Bigbadtoystore still has the Helo bust for pre-order (and mentions the "upcoming Boomer bust"); but they just moved the date for the past years, so I doubt this will ever be released.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Rose wrote:
That [head] does appear to be the sculpt used on the current Boomer figure, though

Yes, I thought about it too, and a close check shows the similarity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:59 am 
Constable

Pierre wrote:
Boomer has *never* been seen with a weapon after KLG2. (I used this in my fic Another Perfect Day) That's not very fair. That's even scandalous *. And why has she the "Cylon Device"?
Look at the text: After being reborn and discovering her true Cylon nature, the Number Eight model known as Boomer sided against her former friends and helped the Cylons maintain their occupation of New Caprica. Simplistic, and and not much fair either. No Caprica-Boomer quixotic "Live in Peace" project?

Yeah, that seems excessive. As far as being with the Cylons, one of the points I took from Downloaded was that Boomer didn't have any choice. She was stuck with them. She clearly seemed to retain some emotional affinity for humans at the end of that episode, and was the major voice decrying the mistreatment of humans on New Caprica. And it's not like their occupation would have faltered without her; she wasn't even associated with security.

The whole thing never made sense, but I still suspect we'll get a dumb overwrite in "The Plan." :frak:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:42 pm 
Administrator

Pierre, was that you on the DST question-and-answer complaining about the Boomer figure's tiny head?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:31 pm 

rebelliousrose wrote:
Pierre, was that you on the DST question-and-answer complaining about the Boomer figure's tiny head?

Uh? No.
What is DST? Day Saving Time ???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:40 am 
Site Admin

I'd bet for Diamond Select Toys but you know I'm a bit allergic to acronyms :grin: .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:14 am 
Administrator

Hole-in-one to Belgium. :fries: