It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: "DeLuxe" Boomer rant found on SciFi
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:47 pm 
Hera's Fiance

NT2 wrote:
Since this is a Boomer rant, could I ask one question: What exactly was Boomer supposed to be doing on New Caprica?

Music Director, as shown by this excerpt of a New Caprica propaganda broadcast:

"Welcome to Cylon Chats, a one hour news and commentary program giving you the latest from your allies in the new government. I'm Diana Biers, formerly of the Fleet News Service and now your most trusted name in Cylon News. Tonight we'll be talking with former Colonial Raptor Pilot, and Cylon by the way, Lt. Sharon Valerii about her heroic actions on the day of the Holocaust when she single-handedly saved tens of thousands of lives pulling survivors off Caprica and herding civilian ships to safety. Miss. Valerii will also be giving us a sneak peek at the new alternative pop music program "Boomer's Basement" that she'll be hosting every Friday night here on the Cylon Channel. But first, we have a surprise inteview with a Human Colonial officer, Daniel "Bulldog" Novacek about the Human first-strike that started the Second Human-Cylon war, and the secret war plans that the Colonial Military was keeping from its own citizens."

The resistance would administer a beating to any kids caught wearing one of her "Valerii Rocks!" promotional t-shirts, but that just made them more coveted by rebellious teenagers who would wear them (usually as undershirts with just a hint of the collar showing) as a signal to other "hip" music fans as a show counterculture bravado.

Last edited by Chris Taylor on Sun May 17, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:53 pm 
Constable

Quote:
..."Valerii Rocks!" promotional t-shirts...

I want one! :giggles:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:07 pm 
Hera's Fiance

terribleted wrote:
Quote:
..."Valerii Rocks!" promotional t-shirts...

I want one! :giggles:

When I start auctioning off props from my BSG fanon, I'll let you know. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 pm 
Constable

Makes sense.

They had to appeal to a wider demographic after the disastrous failure of Cavil Chat, where the host would berate everyone about how his calculations had proven the futility of everything but following your original programming (it only appealed to angry retired people). Simon was also a complete failure as the comic relief.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:05 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

I can imagine kids wearing t-shirts with Boomer's face on it. :cyl:

terribleted wrote:
Ultimately, the show was about the humans and their fight to survive. So the cylons were never intended to be fully realized characters, I suppose. They were the boogymen. Attempts were made to flesh them out as the series went on...with mixed results...but they always played second fiddle to the humans. That's why it never really bothered me when people would criticize the lack of a cylon plan. The "plan" was to kill the humans and chase the survivors around the galaxy so we could have a show. They were the McGuffin. I really had no problem with that.

I can see your point about humanity, but I liked the initial reasoning for the Cylon plan before it was changed. The plan was a religious war against humanity, to uproot humanity and replace them. The changes they implemented simply made no sense, with Cavil uprooting the Five but leaving the other six models with knowledge of the Final Five and revering them, with the Centurions fate (those who made the deal with the Five - likely the golden plated Centurions) never mentioned. Then again, why Sharon is the only sleeper agent is never explained either.

In “Someone to Watch Over Me,” Laura Roslin states, “Personal feelings are what Sharon Valerii preys upon. You know that. Better than any of us. You need to clear your head. She is a danger in the brig, out of the brig. Danger to us, danger to our Cylon allies.” The episode is structured to paint her as a villain. Two seasons prior, Sharon Valerii said to Caprica Six, showing her a picture of her with her crewmates from the Galactica, “This is love. These people love me, I love them. I didn't pretend to feel something so I could screw people over, I loved them. And then I betrayed them. I shot a man I loved. Frakked over another man, ruined his life. And why? Because i'm a lying machine. I'm a frakking cylon!” In Season 2, we are presented with a complex character facing a dilemma of identity, being a Cylon but having memories of a ficticious life she now knows is a lie, but this is forgotten about. This is an intriguing notion that is dropped immediately after Downloaded to the detriment of the character.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:24 am 
Constable

terribleted wrote:
Pierre wrote:

RDM miserably failed to construct a coherent plot after New-Caprica, concerning Boomer.

Not just concerning Boomer. As I said in response to the rant at Skiffy, the whole show lost it's way after New Caprica. Kara's death and "magic" return...Caprica Six and Tigh getting together, only to have that relationship simply dropped without any explanation...the Nicky is not Tyrol's baby reveal...and a lot more.

I really wish we could have a do over...pick up the story from Collaborators and try again.

So Ted--does this pretty much sum up your point?

For me the show went off the rails into existential melodrama when it revealed four of the Final Five Cylons. At that point, it ceased to be one of television’s greatest examples of military science fiction, and turned into something else entirely. Fantasy, maybe? I’m not sure. As engaging as these final episodes have sometimes been, they have also served (I hope) as a lesson to other creative teams — figure out your story ahead of time. Introduce plot and character points when you know why they’re there, not just for shock value. You can’t just backfill continuity and expect the viewer to accept it.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:44 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Chris Taylor wrote:
one of her "Valerii Rocks!" promotional t-shirts

And it should have "Humans Suck" at the back. :frak:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:38 pm 
Constable

Lobsel Vith wrote:

I can see your point about humanity, but I liked the initial reasoning for the Cylon plan before it was changed.

The point I was trying to make is that I don't think the writers ever got beyond seeing the cylons as a mere a plot device. That's why there was so much inconsistency in how they were portrayed. Like Boomer...she was naive...she was sympathetic...she was confused...she was evil...she was "redeemed". Whatever they needed to service the current story in a particular episode. I didn't mean to say it didn't bother me...it did...but despite making noises about fleshing out the cylons and their backstory, the writers never really did. The focus was always on the humans. The cylons were always just the "other".

NT2 wrote:

So Ted--does this pretty much sum up your point?

For me the show went off the rails into existential melodrama when it revealed four of the Final Five Cylons. At that point, it ceased to be one of television’s greatest examples of military science fiction, and turned into something else entirely. Fantasy, maybe? I’m not sure. As engaging as these final episodes have sometimes been, they have also served (I hope) as a lesson to other creative teams — figure out your story ahead of time. Introduce plot and character points when you know why they’re there, not just for shock value. You can’t just backfill continuity and expect the viewer to accept it.

The show always seemed to have a running story arc for a number of episodes. For instance, Home was the conclusion of the arc that began in season 1. Collaborators was the end of the New Caprica story. Beyond that point I got the impression they really weren't sure where they were going. Maybe it was uncertainty about how much longer the show would run. They had to start a new arc, but wanted to make sure they could wrap up the show quickly if they had to. I don't know. It seemed even they weren't sure where they were going. I don't think the Final Five story worked. It really seemed to change the feel...and even the whole meaning... of the show.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:07 pm 
Hera's Fiance

I had a thought in the early hours of this morning:

Seasons 1 & 2 are Battlestar Galactica reimagined.
Seasons 3 & 4 are Galactica 80 reimagined.

More later when I have time.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:04 am 

Daybreak is Flash Gordon & Buck Rogers re-imagined.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:56 am 
Constable

Actually, I think Season 4 is Lost in Space meets Dynasty.

With Baltar as Dr. Smith reimagined.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:08 pm 
Second Seat

Sorry for digging up this old post, but I have something to add:

"Holy crap how did my blog post get all the way out here!?!"

I was here to check if the "Sometimes a Stupid Notion" story had updated and decided to take a look around, but I certainly didn't expect to see that old BSG rant circulating! I wasn't aware that more than a few dozen people had even seen it, let alone that it had circulated on the SciFi channel forums. Huh!

Really glad you guys liked it, though now with half a year more of writing under my belt I'm cringing just looking at it. Apparently I didn't understand the concept of PROOFREADING. Ugh.

It's especially glaring because I now know the factual errors I'd made, which you guys wasted no time pointing out! In my defense, most of the errors were due to me having basically watched everything up to and past the new caprica arc in the span of 4-5 days (a friend only introduced me to the series two summers ago, and I binged on rented DVDs) so it all kinda blurs together! Definitely read more into Sharon and Cally's relationship than there was, though, not quite sure where I got that impression. Oops.

Still, it's gratifying to know that you guys don't think I'm completely full of shit, even if the factual, logical, and literary errors in that old post are currently driving me into a twitching frenzy. :head:

Okay, self-indulgent appearance finished. I'll cut out the thread necromancy. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:12 pm 
Hera's Fiance

starstriker1 wrote:
Sorry for digging up this old post, but I have something to add:

"Holy crap how did my blog post get all the way out here!?!"

I was here to check if the "Sometimes a Stupid Notion" story had updated and decided to take a look around, but I certainly didn't expect to see that old BSG rant circulating! I wasn't aware that more than a few dozen people had even seen it, let alone that it had circulated on the SciFi channel forums. Huh!

Really glad you guys liked it, though now with half a year more of writing under my belt I'm cringing just looking at it.

Welcome home, starstriker1. :waves:

Now that you're here I hope you'll post some of that additional writing of yours here at ATS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:31 pm 

Welcome, StarStriker!
It's always nice to see a fellow Boomie fan. :-)

All, here's the source of the original post: http://ianmorrison.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... tica-rant/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:17 pm 
Administrator

Welcome, starstriker! Don't be afraid to have opinions- we have no shortage of those here!