It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: If Boomer had led a Cylon insurrection during New Caprica..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:27 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

I've proposed in the past the notion that it would have made an interesting story arc to see Boomer leading the Eights (possibly alongside Natalie and Leoben leading their respective factions) during 4.5. (since we never get a clear idea about why the Eights defected in the first place anymore than we've informed why Aaron or Simon sided with Cavil, but I digress) but I was thinking on New Caprica's arc, where Gaeta was gathering intel and all hell was breaking loose on the planet. Might a more realistic alliance of Cylons and humans have arisen if Boomer had lead sympathizing Cylons (possibly even Ones, Fours and Fives tired of the same old crap) against the ruling order of Cylons (where D'Anna seemed to have more of a leadership role). Pegasus destroyed, Galactica broken, wouldn't a Cylon Basestar (even damaged) be a necessity, especially if it helped allow humanity to survive? I enjoyed Adama and Roslin before the two became overbearing dictators of 4.5, and the thought of returning to that idea of the Adama who refused to abandon his people and Roslin who genuinely cared about the people - and Sharon Valerii from Downloaded and New Caprica before she was replaced with POD Sharon from the writers room - seems like an interesting idea to me. Just throwing my two cents out there.

Post subject: Re: If Boomer had lead a Cylon insurrection during New Caprica..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 am 
Administrator

I've always thought that the "love" Cylons, who are the Sixes, Eights and Twos, were always going to side with each other, and the "machine" Cylons, who are the 1,4,5 models with D'Anna as an alternating wildcard leaning more towards the "love" side.

It reflects in the Five, with Tory and Tyrol (and Anders, but that's a deus ex machina) leaning toward machine, and Ellen and Saul always being love.

I think Boomer AND Caprica both failed on New Cap, and another thing we never see is that side of them. They know it, they have to know it, and I'd like to have seen more of that arc.

Post subject: Re: If Boomer had lead a Cylon insurrection during New Caprica..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:22 am 
Constable

Well, now that I know Chief & Cally was just one big waste of time, serving only to require retconning Nicky in the final run and provide a pretext for strangling a helpless woman while everyone cheered :dizzy: , I guess what I would have liked to have seen was Boomer and Chief caught in the middle. He's a leading figure in the resistance because he really believes it's the right thing to do, while Boomer is trying to calm everyone down until Galactica makes its run because the Cylons are seriously considering nuking the site from orbit. Something like that.

And Rose is right about Boomer and Caprica. We know they weren't happy with things, so what exactly were they doing? That's a significant lapse in the series.

(And yes Chris, I know--music director. Valerii rocks. :D )

Post subject: Re: If Boomer had led a Cylon insurrection during New Caprica..
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:04 pm 
Cylon Bible Thumper

How many people though that the person helping the RTF on Cap II was Boomer, it made sanse. But then POD Boomer took over. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 pm 
Constable

The Boomer/Caprica Six alliance that was formed at the end of Downloaded should have been explored in season three. What happened? How did they manage to convince the other cylons to join them? Why did it fail?

I remember RDM saying in the podcast for Downloaded (as Boomer and Cap Six were shaking hands) that this was the beginning of an alliance that would be a significant storyline in the future. Of course, it was then almost completely forgotten. :fume:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:52 pm 
Cylon Bible Thumper

They replaced the Boomer with POD Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:16 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Quote:
I've proposed in the past the notion that it would have made an interesting story arc to see Boomer leading the Eights during 4.5. but I was thinking on New Caprica's arc, where Gaeta was gathering intel and all hell was breaking loose on the planet. Might a more realistic alliance of Cylons and humans have arisen if Boomer had lead sympathizing Cylons (possibly even Ones, Fours and Fives tired of the same old crap) against the ruling order of Cylons

A agree. That would have been very interesting! And perhaps a much better opportunity to have a Cylon Civil War and suddenly create mixed Cylon/Human factions (perhaps even with a grudging cooperation between a pair of human and Cylon “non-integrationist, non-miscegenation” factions) than what the writers went with.
I wonder if all the Eights would have gone with Boomer. The Gaeta webisodes showed that even while Boomer was ostensibly voting on behalf of her entire model line on New Caprica to end the bloodier aspects of the “occupation” at least one of the Eights was secretly working against that in assembling a hit list of resistance members. How many of the other Eights were secretly working against the Empress? Yet Boomie was the traitor? Flawed model indeed.
I think Roslin showed her dictatorial tendencies early on in the Blackmarket episode where she was trying to stamp out private economic transactions (not just human trafficking, but all sorts of unrationed purchases). Similarly I never had an ounce of sympathy for her after she enslaved technically competent (but politically unconnected) Colonials to labor in the refinery ship rather than PAY THEM ENOUGH money (ration tickets, whatever she was using to decide who gets the booze, soap, and antibiotics) that they would work there on their own free will. After that episode I wondered if there was a potential “class struggle” (to borrow a Marxist term) plot that could be developed. Imagine what would have happened if the Cylons (who were former Colonial slaves themselves) had seen the new human Colonial slaves as their natural ally! As I recall Chief Tyrol was the spokesperson for them. Boomer would have been the ideal Cylon to approach him about it. It would have set up a conflict between the Chief’s obligations to the military and to his fellow men. It would also have set up a potential romantic conflict between his wife, Cally, and his old Cylon love who was now meeting with him secretly again “purely for political purposes.” It would also have the benefit of making the viewer begin* to wonder if the Cylons are really the bad guys of the show after all.
But yes, I definitely would have liked to have seen Boomer lead her own Cylon resistance, either in concert with or in a completely different direction (perhaps pro-integration) than the human resistance. I’m sure there is lots of fanfic potential to rewrite it. I had my own fanfic Homeworld where Boomer is involved in a resistance, and Jeff had the much better Ashes to Ashes Boomer resistance story (still one of my favorite Boomer tales: http://repr0b8.livejournal.com/33098.html). I think having whole model lines (or large portions of them) rebel on New Caprica instead of just a few Cylon individuals here and there might be a new twist.
I would have been happy if at least Boomer would have stepped forward after Caprica was shot and said “You’d better shoot me, too, then because if we Cylons are going to descend into…” BANG… thud… instead of just standing by looking upset while her comrades massacred hundreds of innocent human beings. (Not that that was the first time Boomer had done that, but one could at least make the argument that the Olympic Carrier atrocity ultimately saved more lives than it cost.) That moment was when I first began to be unhappy with the lack of spine the defiant hero from Downloaded suddenly began exhibiting. It was still in character enough (mirror imaging her horrified but passive observer status in 33) not to be POD Boomer yet but disappointing nonetheless.

* The decision in the reimagining to make the Cylons be former slaves of the Humans who won their freedom and also to be monotheistic followers of a loving God instead of pagan idol worshipers like the Colonials laid the groundwork very well for this. The viewer would not be presented with good guys in the RTF and the evil Cavil henchmen Cylons, but instead two groups: one was physically like us and socially different, the other was physically very different but was becoming socially more like us every season. That could have made for some cutting edge television!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:38 am 
Cylon

terribleted wrote:
The Boomer/Caprica Six alliance that was formed at the end of Downloaded should have been explored in season three. What happened? How did they manage to convince the other cylons to join them? Why did it fail?

I remember RDM saying in the podcast for Downloaded (as Boomer and Cap Six were shaking hands) that this was the beginning of an alliance that would be a significant storyline in the future. Of course, it was then almost completely forgotten. :fume:

Another great plot thread that was dropped for no reason. The two things I really wanted to see on New Caprica were A) a continuation of the Boomer/Caprica alliance we saw in Downloaded with a look at how they felt when everything went so terribly wrong and B) a Boomer/Chief story. Thanks to the webisodes, we know Boomer and Tyrol talked on NC because Boomer gave information to Tyrol about Jammer's release. What we don't know is how much interaction they had. Was Boomer actively helping the resistance or did she merely sit around and hope for the best? Both of those plot threads would've been much more interesting than the, what, 15 minutes of repeated footage as the opening of Exodus 1. I also think the Boomer/Caprica arc would've made Caprica's murder of Boomer in Rapture all the more powerful. I would've liked to see the depth of their relationship prior to Caprica's 'betrayal'.