It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Boomer Is Love...The Sequel
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:33 pm 
Administrator

The new, revised, and improved Sharon "Boomer" Valerii Appreciation and Discussion Thread.

Post subject: Re: Boomer Is Love...The Sequel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:20 pm 
Officer of the Deck

Boomer pic spam to start things off. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:16 pm 
Second Seat

I really loved her outfit with the white-ish jacket and her hair partly pulled back. I don't know, but I thought it was cute. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:41 pm 
Administrator

I make them this nice new forum and the boys ignore it... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:51 pm 
Cylon

rebelliousrose wrote:
They probably just haven't seen it yet. There's so much shiny stuff on this board, it's easy to accidentally overlook certain sections.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:20 am 
Constable

mfirefly10 wrote:
They probably just haven't seen it yet. There's so much shiny stuff on this board, it's easy to accidentally overlook certain sections.

Very true! Thanks for the sequel. :clap: And thanks for the pretty pics. The first one and the last one...both from Downloaded...two of my all time favorite Grace screencaps. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 am 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

rebelliousrose wrote:

voilà voilà :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:54 pm 
Cylon

Yay, Boomer is love! ♥

Pierre, I always love the screencaps you post. Do you cap them yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:29 pm 

Thank you. :thx:
Yes, I cap them myself. These last months almost all shots came from 720p (HD) versions of episodes that I "found" on the web.
I simply play them with MediaPlayer (with the appropriate codecs installed), do a "pause", hit Alt + PrintScreen, paste the result in Irfanview, and eventually crop or resize. The "final" is a 95%-quality JPG or a PNG if any loss is unacceptable. (as for icons or little images, or images with tiny - thus easily-blurred-by-a-destructive-compression-method - text )

Say, you did the amazing Quietus Boomer-Vid, no? One of the best I ever saw. I have it of course (plus the wmv version), but there is no more a stream (youtube) link, no?
If one day I repost my "Best BoomerVids Selection", I could use one...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 pm 
Cylon

Yeah, I made that vid :D The YouTube link should still work, unless YouTube has disabled it without informing me (they're doing that a lot these days). Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4qvvKir87E

Should still work! And thank you, I'd be honoured for it to be included in your Best Boomer vids selection! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:48 pm 

Works. Thanx. :wave:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:03 am 
Cylon Bible Thumper

I love the 1st picture Grace from Downloaded, her hair and eyes are just amazing! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Delightful captures :clap:. Still the best way to catch glances, gestures, expressions...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:47 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

Great pics! Especially the one from Downloaded, my fav!

rebelliousrose wrote:

Now you know how I feel about my LJ stories. :gloomy:

Boomer is a great character who really fought against some dark demons. She was unique, apparently the only sleeper agent in the midst of millions of others who actively chose to engage in the annihilation of humanity while she alone was conscripted against her will to hurt people she grew to love and care for as family. Seeing her return in Season 2's Downloaded was a great moment as a fan because she really left an impression on me. Sharon Valerii was an interesting character who, despite being a Cylon in a society of conformity, refused to let go of her humanity (Downloaded) and tried to turn the course of her people away from committing further genocide against the human race. No serious reason is ever given for Boomer's turn in Seasons 3 and 4 from that path, and it seems more OOC than anything else. Boomer and Caprica Six convinced the other Cylons to seek out their own destiny, and only came to New Caprica when they discovered the detonation of the nuclear warhead when they were a light year away. I doubt anyone in the Cylon fleet even anticipated finding humanity. Caprica Father Cavil tells Adama and Roslin in "Lay Down Your Burdens: Part 2," "My mission here is simple. I'm to tell you that you've been given a reprieve. Cylon and man will now go their separate ways, no harm done." When Caprica Cavil speaks about the change, it seems that they had considerable leverage with the other Cylons at the beginning, but he implies that they also changed course with their plans. "A 6 and an 8. One of the 8s you know as Sharon Valerii. Their voices carry a lot of weight, so when they started talking about our mistakes and our corruption and our need for a new beginning, the rest of us listened." Furthermore, the idea of pursuing humans is shot down. "Our pursuit of this fleet of yours was another error. That's two for anyone who's keeping score. Both errors led to the same result. We became what we beheld. We became you." Nothing that he says implies that the Cylons would be heading to find humans anymore, which could be why Caprica and Boomer are pretty much unprepared for how to handle the political hotbed that New Caprica becomes. Boomer always stresses against harming or killing humans outright in all of the Cylon meetings that are held. She's a hero among people she formerly fought against, and is rebutted by the only family she has ever known. Even with Cally, she doesn't lose her humanity, but tries to reach out to her, and even tries to intervene in haulting Cally's execution. I personally think she might've even rigged it for Jammer to save Cally. Boomer is an interesting and complicated character, and despite her turn in the middle of Season 3, she was still a character I cared for.

Boomer's ultimate choice, to chose to help Hera, was an act of love, and the last choice she made on screen (I still contend that it's possible she's alive!). I think the writers intended for Boomer to be "disenchanted" by humanity in Rapture, but we never saw that on the screen. (At least, not on my TV). I could understand Boomer becoming bitter if they wrote the scenes differently, but Boomer point-blank calls out her own people acting like "butchers" to humanity, she isn't blind to it. She stresses the people who die in the suicide bombings, she thinks oppressing people because of the bombings is wrong, and one little scene of comfort for Cavil (who, again, stressed putting people in "manageable numbers") is supposed to show me she's all for Cylons going their separate way? It’s simply that Athena is on the side of the Colonials, so Boomer can’t be as well, since it’d be too confusing. The problem is the continuity of the series – despite all the bottle throwing and likely deaths Boomer experienced at the hands of insurgents, Boomer still vouches for them, even as humanity outright rejects their offer of "help" which she recognizes as seriously flawed and on the Cylons part to blame. I do think its Boomer and Caprica who die in the premiere episode to Season 3, who else would be important for two of the leaders of the Resistance to go after than the two "war heroes" of the Cylons, after all, but I think it's meant to be inferred and not explicitly stated; this can be argued, I admit. I'm not saying anything new, I know, but it still bums me out that Boomer has become BSG's Chiana and changes on the whim of the writers, rather than on the continuity of what we've seen before. There are so many possibilities I wish the show had bothered to explore with Boomer and never did, and it's a shame. At least this is a thread that honors the character of Boomer, who is indeed love.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:25 am 
Constable

The Quietus video is impressive. The energy of the song merging with the cuts is kind of...WOW.

For some reason, I've always been partial to the picture with the gun in front of the Raptor from the miniseries. Something about the combination of cute and determined.

I've said it before Lobsel--you simply can't get from the Boomer in "Downloaded" to the Boomer in later Season 3 and 4 based on what the show presented. Whatever her faullts, the Boomer presented even through New Caprica is fundamentally caring person. Then...BLAM, bitchy high school girl to Athena, snap Hera's neck, pathetic Cavil tagalong who was responsible for New Caprica even though she sure didn't look like she was in charge when it was happening. Then she's just an obvious plot device to force the show's premature ending. It's like a new personality everytime we see her.

Unless he still had programming hooks in her, Cavil would have had to been selling something better than we saw in Season 4 to make the Boomer we saw. The only shot at making it work was to make Cavil at least partly legitimate, and they didn't do that.

Terrible waste of a character you could do amazing things, good or bad, with after the setup through Season 2. :blow: