It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A good Plan may be bad for ATS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Today we'll find out if The Plan does any justice to Sharon "Boomer" Valerii's character. Most people are pessimistic (based on the series's post Season 2 track record), though I am optimistic (based on the necessities of fiction writing and my suspicion that The Plan was hatched partly to fix the miserable treatment of one of the show's most popular characters). If The Plan's ending is too satisfying for Boomer fans, however, I fear it may extinguish the current revival of Boomer-centric fanfic. Let me explain.

The Sharon "Athena" Agathon seemed to be the more popular of the Sharon "sisters" when it came to fanfic writing. It's easy to see why she was popular: she is a compelling character with a great deal of potential for good conflicts in her character arc. Then after Daybreak the Athena fanfic slowed to a trickle. I think it's because she got her happy ending: walking into the sunset (or was it a sunrise) with her husband and daughter safe. Sharons fans were happy and relieved. Many had feared at least one of the Agathons would be killed in the finale, perhaps both. I think many fanfic writers felt about Athena's ending the way I sometimes feel after finally assembling or calibrating something that is very delicate or difficult to get right. Once you have it working, the last thing you want to do is frak with it and risk breaking it. Now, obviously a fanfic writer couldn't "break" Athena's ending in Daybreak, but whether my theory is right or not, the results seem obvious: Athena gets a happy ending; Athena fanfic production falls off a cliff.

Boomer, on the other hand, got a crappy ending and I think the general dissatisfaction with it drove the renaissance in Boomer fanfic as writers struggled to "fix" what was perceived to be broken in Boomer's post Season 2 portrayal. But now, what if The Plan really does give us a happy ending for Boomer? What if it reveals that sometime shortly after Downloaded the real Boomer grew tired of being a "hero" and (in a rip-off of Bubba Ho-tep) swapped places with a limelight-loving Boomer impostor so that she could have anonymity again. She spent Season 3 and 4 running a small Cylon charitable foundation that went around the colonies rounding up scattered human survivors (as she did in the Mini) and trying to preserve the treasures of Colonial culture. Shortly after Daybreak she shows up at Earth with more survivors, bug spray, anti-biotics, and painless dentistry for everyone. She marries Galen "The Picon Strangler" Tyrol and roll credits. Or any other ending that leaves Boomer fans happy... What happens to that dissatisfaction that drives people to write and read Boomer fanfic now?

I hope The Plan is good. But if it sucks, then there is a silver lining to it: I can count on more Boomer fanfic.

Post subject: Re: A good Plan may be bad for ATS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:20 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Makes sense.
What you need to find is a shrine dedicated to Elpis. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:49 pm 
Cylon Bible Thumper

All I think it can do is give Boomer some back story or explain why she never just defected to the RTF the first chance she got. Or just paint Cavil as the bad guy for just about everything. Unfourtinutly I still think Boomer's end was #%^$&^%%* up and and choice and it will always leave a bad taste for people .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:59 pm 
Constable

I may be wrong, since I haven't seen it yet, but from the reviews here it sounds like "The Plan" is sort of a wash for Boomer. No major insights of note or explanations for the last two seasons.

Just elephant jokes. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:13 pm 
Administrator

And no Helo (I don't know yet if there is Athena) but what they were doing during The Plan might be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:17 pm 

Quote:
(I don't know yet if there is Athena)

Only old footage. (there are lots of 100% re-used stuff)

NT2: yeah, no major explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:43 pm 
Constable

The only Helo and Athena I remember is re-used footage from the Anders rescue mission on Caprica.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:52 pm 

And re-used footage from The Farm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:46 am 
Cylon Bible Thumper

OH well

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:08 pm 
Mayor of Dogsville

Considering that Boomer's entire storyline in Downloaded was ignored and Boomer was retroactively made responsible for New Caprica, I'm honestly not holding out much hope. :write:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:50 pm 
Cylon

Lobsel Vith wrote:
Considering that Boomer's entire storyline in Downloaded was ignored and Boomer was retroactively made responsible for New Caprica, I'm honestly not holding out much hope. :write:

Iagree that Downloaded and the sensibilities expressed therein appear to have been pretty much ignored afterwards. As regards New Caprica, however, D'Anna mentions in one of the New Caprica episodes that Boomer and Caprica Six convinced the others to settle there (presumably as distinct from nuking the place).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:01 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

It's never mentioned why they settled there. Caprica Six and Sharon are mentioned by Cavil as inspiring the others to stop the war in S2 finale. :angel:

Boomer retroactively took credit in S4 for being for the plan in her convo w/ Tyrol, despite how Caprica and Boomer argued for humanity during the New Caprica eps that showed they had little to no power over the Cylons, but S4 also had Sharon as a cover for her real personality (in a deleted scene and in The Plan) that directly contradicts Downloaded. :frak: