It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A "brilliant" Athena/Boomer Poll *cough* 2nd degree, right?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:01 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Well, some genius at SyFy started (again) a "Athena vs Boomer" poll. :smack:

http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2343821

Huh, a Captain of the Guard can't really vote against his Empress, no? :think: :whistle:

Go, Boomie, go! (in all courtesy :-) )

(I second the "half naked wrestling match in a tub full of jello" suggestion :french: )

Post subject: Re: A "brilliant" Athena/Boomer Poll *cough* 2nd degree, right?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:27 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Pierre wrote:
Well, some genius at SyFy started (again) a "Athena vs Boomer" poll. :smack:

http://forums.syfy.com/index.php?showtopic=2343821

Huh, a Captain of the Guard can't really vote against his Empress, no? :think: :whistle:

Go, Boomie, go! (in all courtesy :-) )

(I second the "half naked wrestling match in a tub full of jello" suggestion :french: )

There aren't many bigger Boomer fans than I, but I have to vote for Athena here. After shooting Adama, Boomer becomes much more of a pacifist. Yeah, she decks Athena with a sucker punch but that's about the only violence she's engaged in after dying on Galactica. Athena, on the other hand, has been continually training and getting experience under fire. If the fight took place in the Mini-series or early 1st season I'd bet on Boomer. Season 4.5, though? Without the element of suprise I don't think Boomer could take Athena. Her combat vet edge is just a little duller. Being dead doesn't help her chances, either. Unless it's like Zombie Boomer, or Vampire Boomer or something. Then it's undead Boomer, obviously.

If there was a "Which would you rather have as a neighbor?" poll, then it would be Boomer all the way. Boomer would let you borrow her edger and bring a nice cake to the block party. With Athena would kill your dog because it barked at Hera when she came into your yard to retrieve a ball and you'd be lucky if she didn't pull a gun on you, too eventually. It's a shame, her husband seems like such a nice, calm guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:52 pm 

Huh, and the "Cicero" option? I mean, rhethoric. Boomer kinda won the one in Eye of Jupiter... (her opponent left the ring...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Pierre wrote:
Huh, and the "Cicero" option? I mean, rhethoric. Boomer kinda won the one in Eye of Jupiter... (her opponent left the ring...)

You really mean to ask "Which is better at emotionally manipulating others?" right? 8-)

Well, Boomer obviously. Roslin explained it all to me.

Seriously. Boomer convinced the Cylons to end the occupation of the Colonies, but she seemed very unpersuasive on New Caprica so... it's hard to say. I guess it depends on who's writing her lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:33 pm 

Oh, bah..., as the Captain, my opinion might be a little biased... :grin:

But, you're right: Downloaded-Boomer (& Caprica) managed somehow to convince the others, even if we never actually witnessed the crucial discussion. That's the sort of talk I want to refer to. (hmmm... Eighthena was also good in The Hub - convincing all to work together - ... how much of this talk was manipulation, finally?)

You spotted an interesting fact: almost every talk (if not discussing physics or such things) has a manipulation component, imho.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:56 pm 
Cylon

Chris Taylor wrote:
If there was a "Which would you rather have as a neighbor?" poll, then it would be Boomer all the way. Boomer would let you borrow her edger and bring a nice cake to the block party. With Athena would kill your dog because it barked at Hera when she came into your yard to retrieve a ball and you'd be lucky if she didn't pull a gun on you, too eventually.

:lol: She would kill you because your dog licked Hera!

Pierre wrote:

:lol: True, and Boomer was arguably magnanimous to Athena, hinting that she considered her a version of the Sharon who was first aboard Galactica and with some claim to that identity. Notably, she doesn't even spit the word "Sharon", though this might be simply because the cylon concept of identity is somewhat different from the human concept.

Anyway, I voted for Boomer to win the fight. Better nourished, would only fight for a darn good reason etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:55 pm 
Constable

Actually, the neighbor thing could be dicey either way. Because Boomer would be married to the guy that drinks a fair amount, occassionally shaves his head and goes all paramilitary, and just gives you this "I'm capable of violence" vibe. :wink:

As far as the fight , who knows. They don't give us a coherent enough picture of Boomer in the end to know what she's capable of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 pm 
Constable

Pierre wrote:

So do I...except for the half part. :)

I voted Athena...mainly because of motivation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:22 am 
Cylon Bible Thumper

I think it speaks to Grace's acting ability that both characters are so distinct. That being said I have no comment. :whistle: