It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What should Boomer's arc have been?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:13 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

Boomer's arc had been incoherent since Season 3. She argued against the actions of her people on New Caprica, she did a 180 and became insane over Hera, she was then sane and with Cavil who was rectoned into the big bad himself, and she stole Hera in an absurdly stupid plot point that has never made sense, even with The Plan that makes little sense when compared to Downloaded. Why didn't Sharon mention this when she spoke with Caprica Six on Caprica? Why didn't she know about Baltar if she had a prior knowledge of the Cylon plan? Why steal Hera? Apparently, Cavil, Simon and Doral can get each other pregnant I guess, since it's an incredibly stupid plot that honestly makes as much sense as Apollo's plan to abandon all tech on Earth. Why sleep with Helo? RDM admitted it was simply because the director thought it would cause controversy. Sharon had zero effort on her story, just like Simon, Leoben and Caprica Six who served as plot devices rather than characters. Any thoughts on what you would do with Boomer's story if you had any imput?

Post subject: Re: What should Boomer's arc have been?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 am 
Constable

In general terms, I would say this:

1. The actual change she and Caprica effected upon the Cylons should have been described or shown in some coherent way. That would have grounded the character moving forward for whatever you wanted to do with her. Instead, we got a one-sentence explnation from Cavil that doesn't really make sense with either Downloaded before or the New Caprica arc after. That's really the point at which the character simply becomes a plot device.

2. Obviously Boomer's residual feelings for the Colonials would have come to the fore on New Caprica. That should have been meaningfully depicted. A meeting with Tyrol, even a confrontation with him, is so obvious, and so writes itself, that it's amazing it didn't happen. I mean which one screams out to be written: A Boomer/Tyrol scene, or a Boomer/Cally scene?

3. Boomer was the natural vehicle for exploring a nascent Cylon Civil War on New Caprica, one based on the Cylon's dawning sense of affinity for humanity. That should have drawn her into interactions that actually show us a credible basis for that Civil War.

From that point, you can either show her turning away from humanity or turning back towards humanity; you'd have created actual character development either way. From my perspepctive, the most logical and easiest to write path would have been a meaningful Boomer/Athena interaction that sends Boomer down the path of actually taking the Natalie role. The tension between her and the Colonials on one side, and her and Cavil on the other, could have made for a tense three-handed game.

Of course, that's all for naught now. I salvaged what Ron left as best I could in "A Stupid Notion."

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:29 pm 
Cylon

NT2 wrote:
2. Obviously Boomer's residual feelings for the Colonials would have come to the fore on New Caprica. That should have been meaningfully depicted. A meeting with Tyrol, even a confrontation with him, is so obvious, and so writes itself, that it's amazing it didn't happen. I mean which one screams out to be written: A Boomer/Tyrol scene, or a Boomer/Cally scene?

Tyrol mentions Boomer in one of the New Caprica webisodes. I think it was that she had passed on information about when someone was due to be released from prison. So they may have met there. I agree that they should have been shown meeting on NC at one point, though. A Boomer-centric story even in flashback would have been potentially an excellent part of season 3.5 or 4.0. Seeing Tyrol and VCally (who Boomer probably assumed was in prison) might might have made her a little less well-disposed towards the humans, especially if she learned that Tyrol put in a good word for Cally with Adama.

NT2 wrote:
3. Boomer was the natural vehicle for exploring a nascent Cylon Civil War on New Caprica, one based on the Cylon's dawning sense of affinity for humanity. That should have drawn her into interactions that actually show us a credible basis for that Civil War.

That could have worked very well, but I think that either Ron Moore wasnt planning that far ahead or or the civil war was introduced because Battlestar's days were numbered. As it was, the rebel 268s were not necessarily pro-human at all; they were with the colonial fleet for their own survival, not the humans'.

Last edited by Scrawny71 on Mon May 03, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:33 pm 
Cylon

Lobsel Vith wrote:
Boomer's arc had been incoherent since Season 3. She argued against the actions of her people on New Caprica, she did a 180 and became insane over Hera, she was then sane and with Cavil who was rectoned into the big bad himself, and she stole Hera in an absurdly stupid plot point that has never made sense

Not much after Blood On The Scales makes even the slightest bit of sense, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:07 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Boomer should have had more episodes at the beginning where she is still an unknowing sleeper agent. Show her as a close friend and trusted compatriot to the other Colonials. Show her develop a sort of family with Chief Tyrol and Boxey. I would especially have scenes which show the orphaned (so she thinks) Boomer's relationship with Adama as him almost being her surrogate father. Keep the threat of her Cylon nature always nearby but not yet manifested as she is put into situations where she could do tremendous damage with even a small betrayal. Any character can bring tension to a scene with conflict. At the beginning, however, there were 2 characters that could bring tension to even just doing their normal routine duties. Tigh because he might be drunk and frak it up, and Boomer because you know she's really a Cylon sleeper who could 'awaken'. Boomer should have remained a loyal Colonial for at least the first half of Season 1.

THEN have the Water episode and subsequent Cylon saboteur story line: The Cylon Detector test, the suspicion of her friends, the breakup of her romance with Chief Tyrol, her self-doubt and emotional breakdown, her attempted suicide, etc. Mrs. Park did a great job showing us the effect of the Cylon spy storyline on Boomer. It was like watching a slow-motion train wreck. I think the plot line would have been even more powerful with regard to Boomer's relationship with the other characters if we had first gotten to see more of her "normal" interactions with the other characters who are eventually betrayed by her. In an ordinary TV series Boomer would eventually overcome her Cylon programming and go on to become the token Cylon officer in the Colonial fleet. I think the reimagined Battlestar Galactica is dark enough that it is appropriate for Boomer to lose her struggle and/or die as a result of it.

Boomer should have then been resurrected among the Cylons as the ruthless, conniving Cylon intelligence officer that was operating beneath Boomer's false memories all along. It makes no sense to me to resurrect Boomer as the good Colonial and then have her switch back and forth between loyalties as the individual episode and webisode plots demand it. Her death and resurrection is the ideal time to switch Boomer's loyalty, IMHO. In the original show the Cylons put Count Baltar in charge of the Cylon forces trying to destroy the rag-tag Human fleet because they reasoned that as a fellow Human he would be able to know how they think and better predict where they'd go. Boomer is the obvious person to fill this role in the reimagined series! The Cylons should have put Cylon Boomer in charge of hunting down her old compatriots in the Rag-Tag Fleet. Not only does Boomer know how Colonials in general think, she knows the individual Colonials on the Galactica. Cylon Boomer would be a powerful and dangerous enemy to pit against Adama and his crew. All the scenes of her fighting side by side with Starbuck and Apollo in the 1st half of Season 1 would pay off again here. She doesn't just know their capabilities and proceedures, she knows their habits and weaknesses. She could get inside their heads and toy with their emotions. Colonial Boomer was the Cylon the fans could love. Always having another trick up her sleeve to throw against her former shipmates and dressed like Condi Rice at a military review Cylon Boomer could have been the Cylon the fans loved to hate. Just as old X-files fans looked forward to episodes featuring the Smoking Man villain, BSG fans would have been assured it would be an exciting show if Cylon Boomer showed up in the previews.

I'd have written Cylon Boomer as more than just a simple sexy, dangerous villainess, however. I imagine her to be a complex 3-dimensional character with motivations and feelings of her own. At the zenith of her "dangerous villainess" arc I'd have thrust both the Cylon and Human fleet into an episode where they have to put aside their conflict and work together so they both can survive. Kobol, with its mysterious malevolent force, might be an ideal location for that though any astronomical hazard or powerful artifact might do. I'd have Boomer and Adama promise each other a temporary truce to save both fleets, and then show the Colonials (at Roslin's insistence, of course) begin plotting how they can back-stab the Cylons once the mutual danger has passed and assuming the Cylons are doing the same. When the danger is escaped the Cylons emerge with the better tactical position and could wipe out the Humans easily but at the moment of truth Cylon Boomer orders the Cylon fleet to jump away. Perhaps she should have a "political officer" onboard that insists she take the opportunity to wipe out the Human threat, so that she can explain to it that if she didn't keep her word then she'd be no better than the Humans are. It's The Return of Starbuck writ large. The idea would be to show that Cylon Boomer is not evil; she is just fighting on the other side. Then I would explore the motivation of the Cylons and Boomer in particular more in following episodes. I'd show Boomer to be an honorable Cylon who legitimately feels that SHE is the good guy and the Humans are the villains. The Cylons were both afraid of and angry at their former slave masters. When "Bulldog" Novacek escapes to the fleet and it is revealed that the Colonials had been probing Cylon space in violation of the armistice it would demonstrate that the Cylons in fact did have legitimate Casus Beli which was half reason and half excuse. I'd use the theme Simon mentioned once about the children of abusive parents becoming abusive themselves more and have some flashbacks to remind the audience of Boomer and Adama's almost daughter-father relationship. Scorpius from Farscape is an excellent model of the sort of character development I have in mind. I don't want to give spoilers but when he first shows up Scorpius seems to be an almost cartoonishly stereotypical villain. But as the show explored his character the viewer realizes that he's not simple or evil and that even though he's the antagonist he has very good reasons for his actions. By the end he seems, IMHO, actually a sympathetic character. An almost-good guy. That's what I'd like to see Cylon Boomer become. An honorable antagonist that the audience likes and wants to see redeemed.

In the mini-series Adama changes his speech at the last minute and says that it is not enough to survive, they must be worthy of survival. Boomer was in the audience cheering him. I like that as the theme for the direction of the show, along with the idea that the Humans are the parents of the Cylons. Combine all that with the spiritual aspect of the Cylons having discovered God and I think RDM was right on about having the main theme of the series being that the Cylons and Humans have to learn to forgive each other and join together. Helo and Athena are the obvious example of that. I think Boomer could play a role too. A turning point for her could be the reimagined A Measure of Salvation episode where Helo kills the infected Cylons to prevent the plague from wiping out the rest of the Cylon race. Have the Cylons terrified that the plague will destroy them all and stunned that the Humans stopped it for them instead of using it against them. I'd have that be the moment that Cylon Boomer begins to realize that she might be wrong about the Humans. It would be her turn to take the next step, maybe saving some Colonial's life. Boxey? Chief Tyrol? (Maybe it would be better to have Chief Tyrol be the one sparing Boomer's life, along with a lament that he did not stand by her when he discovered she was a Cylon... that every day he wonders if he had stuck by her if they could be together now like Helo and Sharon are. It wouldn't have helped, of course, and maybe Boomer would tell him so but his regret would also shake her to her core.) Perhaps a plot could be appropriated from Daybreak and have the Cylons capture Hera. Boomer is ordered to return the child to High Command for vivisection. Boomer returns Hera to her parents instead so she'll be safe but is captured. Now it is the Colonials turn. Apollo insists Boomer deserves a fair trail. She was a Colonial officer, after all, and entitled to a Court Martial under the code of military justice. He convinces a reluctant Boomer to speak in her own defence, and she speaks for all the Cylons. I can imagine what she'd say to Humanity, about them having the opportunity to make their children be anything they wanted, and what they made them into was slaves. I can also imagine what Adama might say back. But I don't want to give away too much of that, because I think it will wind up in a fanfic later. ;) Let's just say that if there is to be a Cylon Civil War then Boomer would be the ideal person to lead one faction. There are also plenty of Colonial characters that might play a part in forgiving Boomer for her betrayal of them and thereby showing themselves to be worthy of Mercy as well.

Without Downloaded, I'd say the whole New Caprica storyline would need to be removed or radically altered. I'd get rid of the Final Five plot, too. I'd throw in a multi-episode plot where the Cylons almost convince the RTF (and the audience) that Lee Adama is a Cylon, but it turns out to be one of the promising new volunteer nuggets is a Cylon agent that is framing him. Then have Athena go ahead and give descriptions of the other Cylon models to Adama when she converts to being a Colonial officer. That would let me lift a good plot idea from the comic book I saw where another Cylon sleeper is discovered. He has a wife and stepdaughter, and doesn't believe he's a Cylon but accuses Athena of trying to spread lies on behalf of the Cylons instead. Just to keep suspense up and as a nod to The Prisoner, I'd have Athena not know what Number One looks like so there could still be the fear that another main character is a spy.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:58 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

That was very convincing, Chris. You really did think it through, heh? :clap:
One of the sad things is that, in the series, Cavil evolves from "interesting Cylon priest-agent" to "maniac evil-Cavil whose lollipop was stolen by his mom"

Oh, and I *loved*Smoking Man! (wasn't really a "bad" guy, was he?)

Boomer could have been the perfect Darth Vader, right?
(When he managed to control his customized TIE-fighter at the end of SW-IV, I said to myself: "we'll see him again". And when he forbad Bobba Fett to kill Chewy in SW-V, I said: "Ok, I got it. There's still good in him.")

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 pm 
Constable

Chris Taylor wrote:
Boomer should have had more episodes at the beginning where she is still an unknowing sleeper agent.

Yes. And apparently RDM agrees as well, according to that one podcast (the one with all the actors...and Mrs. Ron). He said he regretted "outing" Boomer so early in the series with Water.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:21 am 
Hera's Fiance

I want to apologize for the poor quality of this ficlet. It was just something I banged out while I should have been finishing Sometimes a Stupid Notion or Voice of Reason. It appeared in my head and I had to get it out. Damn muses. :)

The star swelled as it turned the deep angry red of silicon fusion and ejected billions of tons of material that flared out in erratic arcs of magnetic flux. Under this dying alien sun, deep within the Temple of Jupiter's Eye Chief Galen Tyrol stared into the beautiful dark brown eyes of Sharon Valerii. He tried not to notice how the form fitting, black Cylon flight suit she wore flattered her athletic figure, or the stern frown that marred her once innocent face, or the trio of menacing Centurions that stood behind her with their guns leveled at his chest. He focused only on her beautiful eyes, hoping to see some hint of whether or not she would really kill him.

"You know that you can trust me to keep my word, Chief," she said to him sweetly. "Give me the scroll with the location of Earth and I promise to let you walk out of here alive."

"No." Chief Tyrol responded as he lowered the ancient scroll closer toward the eternal flame which burned on the central stone altar. "And if you try to take it from me I will destroy it."

"If you destroy it then you destroy all hope for your race, Chief," Boomer said shaking her head. "You condemn yourself and your fleet to die a slow, lonely death in the blackness of space. You won't do that."

"I will. I'd rather us all die than for you murdering Cylons to..."

Chief Tyrol never finished his sentence. The entire planet shook violently as the first of the solar flares impacted the atmosphere. Gravity itself seemed to spasm and ear-splitting thunderclaps filled the pagan temple. The next thing Chief Tyrol knew he was lying on the floor as a fine layer of dust was settling on him. He rolled over and pushed himself up to his knees as he surveyed the remains of the cavernous room around him. Most of the giant columns along the far wall had collapsed in the quake. There was a pile of stone debris and rubble where the Centurions had stood just moments ago. Sharon Valerii was laying flat on her back with her legs pinned under a large cylindrical stone from one of the collapsed columns.

"Oh, Frak me..." Sharon said as calmly as if she had just lost an expensive hand of Full Colors in the pilot's ready room. She tried to twist around to look at Galen but winced and screamed in pain as the stone shifted slightly.

"Don't move!" Chief Tyrol shouted as he ran to her aid. He pressed his shoulder against the stone and strained with all his might to roll it off of her, but it did not budge.

"You'll never move that, Chief." Sharon said. "Just shoot me in the head and get out of here."

The Chief looked down at Sharon with a look of shock and dismay. "Sharon, you can't believe I'd murder you like that. Let me get something to pry with and I'll..."

"Damn it Chief!" Boomer yelled angrily. "Don't be an idiot! If you kill my body before my basestar jumps out of this system then I'll just resurrect safely on board in a new one. If you frak around trying to find a lever while that sun goes nova then we'll both die." She pulled her service pistol from it's shoulder holster and handed it to him grip first. "I'd do it myself if I could, but you know how well that worked last time."

"Yeah, okay." Chief Tyrol said nodding as he took the pistol. "And I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. I'm asking you to do this for me."

"No. I mean... I've been wanting to tell you. I'm sorry I treated you so poorly after I figured out you were a Cylon. Every day I regret it. I can't help thinking... maybe if I had stood by you... maybe I could have done something... maybe right now we could still be together like Helo and..."

"No." Boomer replied. The temple shuddered slightly around them. Boomer shut her eyes tight and grimaced in pain. "No." she finally said again as the tremors subsided and she opened her eyes and looked into his face. "I was on Galactica to do a job. No matter what you did, it wouldn't have mattered. I never..." Sharon stopped, unable to finish her sentence. Instead she reached out to put her hand gently on Chief Tyrol's arm. "We just weren't meant to be, Chief," she said shaking her head. "It just wasn't meant to be." Boomer paused and a sly smile crept onto her face as she nodded her head toward the fallen scroll of Jupiter on the ground. "But why don't you leave me with your forwarding address just in case things change."

Chief Tyrol looked at the scroll and then back to Boomer. "Why don't I just give you the bullet and we call it even."

"Okay, it's a deal." She squeezed his arm slightly and smiled. "Chief..." For half a heartbeat Sharon Valerii paused with the words hanging unspoken on her tongue. Then she pulled her hand away and said "... make it quick and get yourself out of here."

The sound of the gunshot was still echoing off the temple walls when Chief Tyrol picked up the scroll and sprinted towards the exit without looking back.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:57 am 

A nice one! :waves:
May I express a personal impression? There are lots of feelings in this minific. You requested that we treat you like a writer and not a fanfic-writer,
...so I'd like to say, in all honesty: I like it the most when things are even more implied. (let's say à la Let the Right One In?... :wink: )
I know the right balance is extremely difficult to adjust, between implying in a subtle way and being too cryptic/obscure.
I refer mainly to the dialogs* . As always, it's difficult to find the right terms to precisely reflect my thoughts. But be sure, I like this little essay.

* I have the feeling that sometimes adding/deleting/changing only a very few words can greatly modify (in a way or another) the "weight" and "taste" of the "feeling profile".
Huh, like quarks? :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:06 am 
Hera's Fiance

Thanks for the comment.

Yes I guess even though some things are unspoken they were still not very subtly hinted at. And in retrospect Tyrol's apology seems wordier than he usually is. Good observations.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:07 am 

No problem. I added a little more in the above post.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:26 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Quote:
Boomer could have been the perfect Darth Vader, right?

I hadn't thought of it, but I guess my suggested plot arc does bear a great similarity to a certain dark lord of the Sith. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:52 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

Chris' idea is interesting. It's a lot better than the Boomer arc we got on the show.

Of course, what wouldn't be? :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:38 pm 
Rook

That IS interesting. I like it!

My 4.5 AU version changes Tyrol's arc at the end as well. Instead of Tyrol going on a "let's kill the women" rampage, he suggests to Adama that while they're at the Colony, maybe someone should take a nuke inside and detonate it once the Galactica gets out. Add in some stuff about personal responsibility and "we created them", and he volunteers to do it himself. Adama agrees.

Rescue goes along, Helo and Sharon manage to get Hera and get off the Colony, Lee Adama tells Cavil they have a nuke inside; anyone who wants to live in peace can come with then, everyone else on the Colony (but not necessarily baseships, etc.) gets blown up. A few Cylons do end up coming on board with Galactica.

Tyrol takes the nuke deep into the Colony, and while he's waiting for his signal, Boomer finds him. She realizes what he's doing and helps defend him and the nuke. They make peace with each other, she projects their house, and then when the <i>Galactica</i> jumps away, they detonate the nuke and die in each others' arms inside their dream house.

(And Racetrack either lives or gets shot down with dignity and courage ;) )

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:15 am 
Constable

lls_mutant wrote:
That IS interesting. I like it!

My 4.5 AU version changes Tyrol's arc at the end as well. Instead of Tyrol going on a "let's kill the women" rampage, he suggests to Adama that while they're at the Colony, maybe someone should take a nuke inside and detonate it once the Galactica gets out. Add in some stuff about personal responsibility and "we created them", and he volunteers to do it himself. Adama agrees.

Rescue goes along, Helo and Sharon manage to get Hera and get off the Colony, Lee Adama tells Cavil they have a nuke inside; anyone who wants to live in peace can come with then, everyone else on the Colony (but not necessarily baseships, etc.) gets blown up. A few Cylons do end up coming on board with Galactica.

Tyrol takes the nuke deep into the Colony, and while he's waiting for his signal, Boomer finds him. She realizes what he's doing and helps defend him and the nuke. They make peace with each other, she projects their house, and then when the <i>Galactica</i> jumps away, they detonate the nuke and die in each others' arms inside their dream house.

(And Racetrack either lives or gets shot down with dignity and courage ;) )

That would have been better, too. But as noted, lots of things would have been better. :)