It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Last Fic'er Standing Compilation, Kindreds, Helo/Sharon, G
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 pm 
Administrator

Last Fic’er Standing- A Kindreds Challenge

Rated G
Helo/Sharon/Ensemble
By rebelliousrose, chris taylor, sabaceanbabe, Utsuro_Kuri, Pierre, mrsdrjackson, mamaboolj

Standing

When Helo considered, he’d spent a good portion of life since enlisting on his feet, in various uncomfortable uniforms and climates. Sharon said once that standing was what he did best- he wasn’t sure she meant it in the negative, more in the “standing for other people” way. Gods knew he’d done a lot of that- for her, for Boomer, for Chief, Gaeta, Starbuck, for Hera. Hardly ever for himself, though- that’s what the other soldiers were for, to stand for him. Or she meant that he had two left feet. And she was over there dancing with Sam Anders.

Willful

“Raptor inbound,” Karl Agathon said, “Open landing bay doors.” Hera kept her mouth shut tight, her lips pressed into a thin line on her unhappy face. Helo made Raptor noises as he moved the spoon full of algae mush towards his daughter’s mouth. “Come on, Hera,” he said with a forced smile. “Be a good girl and eat your algae.” Hera frowned and squirmed and, in the end, wound up with more algae on her face, clothes, and hair than in her mouth. Helo turned to the smirking Cylon on the other side of the room and said to it, “You know… she gets this from you.”

Father

Karl never knew his father, for whom he'd been named. He'd died before he even knew that he would have a son.

Karl's mother had done what she could for her family, but she hadn't been around as much as she would have liked, forced to work usually two and sometimes even three jobs to keep her small family together. And so Karl had been raised more or less by his sister Daphne, ten years older and a born nurturer.

He loved his mother and sister dearly, but growing up, he truly missed having a father. As he looked at his daughter, sleeping in her crib, as he felt again the twisting in his gut when he'd learned that she was alive, that she'd been taken from him and from Sharon at her birth, had never known either her mother's or her father's love until this day, he vowed that Hera would never feel that same feeling of something important missing, not if he could help it.

Hera would know both her parents, know them and their love for her.

Hera would have a father.

Rain

Sharon listened to the rain steadily beating on the tarp that sheltered them. Helo dozed lightly beside her, asleep but ready to spring to action if he heard so much as a footstep. She could barely keep her eyes closed, let alone rest. Her mind raced, switching rapidly from thought to thought, image to image. The scriptural descriptions of the Tomb of Athena, Elosha's dead body. Roslin ordering her out of the airlock, the child growing inside of her. Memories of old friends, the current hatred on their faces. It may have felt like home, but it wasn't. She turned her head and watched Helo sleep, taking comfort in the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest. She slid over quietly and nestled herself against the warmth of his body. He stirred, wrapped an arm around her, and then drifted back to sleep. This...this was home.

Crisp

The salute still felt strange to her; she'd done it a thousand times in the memories, but her hand still felt halting in the actual movement, as though something was missing. Her mind knew, but her body hadn't quite caught up yet.

"Do it again," Helo told her, angling his own hand a bit to show her how.

Sharon complied, hand rigid and body snapped to attention. This felt better, more…usual. Like something she, herself, knew how to do. Something that belonged to her now.

"Nice. Nice one there," Helo complimented her, and her reward was his matching salute in return.

Warrior

As Sharon watched Hera, her mind wandered to the future of her beautiful daughter. Would she be allowed to follow her own path? Or would having two warriors as parents warp her into thinking that military service was the only life to lead? Wearing the uniform of a colonial officer was Sharon's life - outside of her family - but was that really all she wanted for her daughter? Hera had so much potential and not just because of her heritage.

Hera looked up at her mother, as if she knew Sharon's thoughts. "Everything is going to turn out the way it is meant to be, mommy."

Sharon thought that she could believe that. Provided the Cylons didn't kidnap Hera again and provided this new world didn't become the end of them all.

Candy

Sharon was on her way home after reporting that the mission was a success to Commander Adama, who had given her a candy treat to her confusion, but she assumed it was gift of an apology for not visiting Hera enough since they brought her back from the basestar.

As she opened the door she found the scene before her incredibly endearing since her husband and child were enjoying their lollipops while he read to Hera. Helo was about to say something but Sharon walked right over and gave him an “I’m home” kiss which in his mind was even better than candy.

Love

Relief and painful tenderness filled him as he smoothed the tangled hair back from her battered face. He'd thought she was lost, his friend, his partner, his one stable hold in a destroyed world. Now she was here, safe enough, if not truly safe, and he wouldn't let her be lost again. The kisses he pressed to her brow, to her mouth, were born of so many emotions he couldn't put a name to any in particular. She was there, in his arms, and he was able to function again, the missing piece snapped back into place with the sharpness of a dislocated joint.

Science

Boomer walked away from Dr. Baltar’s office with a new spring in her step. This human is going to visit the flight deck. She grinned as she passed through the halls, trying to ignore the tiny voice in her head that said she was foolish to hope. I am NOT a cylon. She said sternly to herself. This isn’t a hope and a prayer to the gods, he told me that I am not a cylon. Dr. Baltar would have raised an unholy fuss if the results had been anything besides green. I have to trust his machine and his methods. She realized then that it wasn’t the machine she worried about, it was the man behind it. Depressed again, she altered course and started towards her rack. Time to think some more…

Sister (Pierre)

Sisters - B/K fic inspired by Chris Taylor's eponymous fic

As Sharon, exhausted after the long run, and following her guide, found her way in the maze and finally reached the emergency shuttle, more a FTL-capable escape pod than a real vessel, she stopped and turned her head back. The black-haired woman stood in the corridor, half hidden by the smoke. Kendra - suddenly this name popped into Sharon's mind - made a slight gesture with her hand, but the Eight didn't understand its meaning. I don't know the code to open the hatch, and the door looks stuck, Sharon realized, and anyway, it'd be better for me to die here, along with the man I loved. I won't have to wait too long.

The foggy apparition, now almost surrounded by flames which were giving her skin an orange glowing color, seemed to feel her reluctance and mouthed one syllable. Go.

Sharon knew she had lost her mind and shook her head. In her distress, she had somehow imagined her past conversations with this attractive young woman dressed like a Colonial Officer, who had defined herself as a fallen angel. I even believed seeing someone looking like Helo, with a mirror image of myself. But I am the only one to blame: everything is my fault. I don't deserve to survive this.

Sharon remembered the horrible stench of the birthing cuves consumed by a hellish heat, announcing the forthcoming Apocalypse.The end of all. Through the curtain of her tangled and sweaty hair, Sharon watched her unreal companion, looking for the first time uncertain, turning herself her head to the far end of the corridor. Two more characters were present, Sharon couldn't have said since when. My God, what does this mean?

They were just there. Two women. Sharon recognized a Six, in civilian clothes, maybe Colonial style, and an older woman, a human, wearing a Colonial uniform like Kendra. Deep in Sharon's mind, a forgotten talk with Baltar, involving some atrocious events, tried to make surface, but she managed to block it. The two women were holding their hands. Like sisters, or lovers... , Sharon thought, asking herself why she was wondering at this most inappropriate moment how Kendra's breasts would feel under her hand.

Are you tempting me or helping me, my ghost friend? Did you summon these other demons to give you counsel? Two miserable doomed creatures, like me and yourself? Like all of us, humans and Cylons, maybe? Why would you want to do that? Look at my hands: they are full of blood.

Feeling some viscous substance on them, Sharon looked down and examined her hands. They were indeed covered with a red liquid, and several of her fingers were broken. Sharon looked up again and could see a damaged and torn panel, with wires still oscillating like the hair of a vanquished gorgon, sticking out of it. Sharon knelt down and started to cry. Right in front of her eyes, the hatch door to the escape pod was open. What now, Kendra? Life or Death? Which one will it be? I'm still Sharon Valerii, and this is my choice.

Sharon felt lips kissing her forehead, whispering three words. After a while, she stood up and made a step forward.

Good luck, Boomer.

Empathy

As Helo walked up to the viper he tried to make his footsteps louder, essentially making as much noise as possible. No one else had realized Kara was hiding here, and if she shot him it would be hours before anyone found his body. When he started up the ladder she turned her head towards him just enough to glare at him.

“What do you want, Karl?” It was more of a sigh than a question, and Helo paused as he realized she was sober. His head finally cleared the cockpit, and he balanced himself while trying to think of what to say. Good job,Agathon. You found her, now what are you going to say to her? Helo searched for the right words, and decided on a story.

“Did anyone tell you about Sam and the viper? While you were…gone, he took it pretty hard. He was drinking and trying to walk on top of the bird. Lee was in the process of talking him down when he fell off and broke his leg.” Helo shook his head. “He wasn’t even that concerned about the break. Sharon went to visit him while he was with Doc Cottle, and he just seemed…lost.”

At the mention of Sharon Kara’s head slowly turned to completely face Helo. Recognition and understanding bloomed on her worn face. Here was someone who would understand - after all, he loved a cylon too.

Empathy (good enough to do it twice!)

Sharon stood behind the one-way mirror watching the Six who called herself Caprica, who sat cross-legged on the bunk waiting for whomever would come to interrogate her next. It felt so strange to be on the other side of the glass, watching another Cylon occupy the cell that had held her for over a year before she had embraced her new life with the humans, her duty to the fleet. Every day, every hour Sharon felt the hatred of her people building inside of her, but not Caprica. She couldn't hate her, this woman who had helped her save Hera. She understood what Caprica was feeling - at least she thought she did. Love of a child, a human man, and God had brought her to this decision. And now she had to find a way to live with it.

Algae

"Frak this...this...garbage." Brendan Costanza slung his spoon in the direction of his plate and missed, watching in horror as the protein mush in the dish spattered all over the XO's uniform. "Sorry, sorry, man. Sir."

Rendered algae spotted the XO's duty blues from collar to flight wings, and a glob stood out prominently on his jaw.

As he began to swab his uniform clean, Helo smiled briefly. "No worse than I've gotten at home. Hera doesn't like this stuff any better than you or I do, and we're too old to spit it out."

Politics (Pierre)

The Black Corridor

A dozen silhouettes are slowly and silently walking down a dark corridor, like in a dream. The last one pauses, turns her head and looks behind her.

This isn't about war anymore, and certainly not about politics. I'm glad you didn't have to experience these horrors, Mom. But this is about survival. And someone had to do it. Me. Colonel Fisk, you coward, you frakking coward! Was that relief in your eyes, beyond the surprise and the disgust? The Admiral... she already proved that she makes the correct decisions, like when she saved the ship by ordering the blind jump. So she has to be right. No other choice was really left to us. There is no reason to blame myself or to feel guilty.

After a hesitation, the silhouette wearing the uniform of a Lieutenant resumes her walk, her long black hair catching sparks from the flashing lights, as she accelerates her pace to rejoin the little group.

History

You never liked history. Her words echoed through his head, joining the swirl of thoughts festering in his mind and putting him in a really foul mood. No he didn't frakking like history, but right now, he knew all the history he needed to know. The Cylons were the enemy, a bunch of thoughtless, killing robots who had tried to exterminate his people 40 years ago. And it looked like they'd finally succeeded. That's the only history he needed to know. Hell, even the history he thought he shared with this wo...thing didn't exist because she wasn't even Sharon.

Except for these last few weeks. They had shared that.

Frak it! She's a machine, a lying frakking toaster who'd pulled one over on him good. He can't forget that.

Scream (Pierre)

Sisters - second part

Since Sharon's surroundings were almost totally invaded by darkness, the howling sound - which seemed to come from everywhere - was even more frightening. The hatch had automatically closed and had sealed itself after her entry, protecting her from the raging fires, but also separating her from the angels.

The metallic structures reacting to the intense heat? The Cylon wondered. Somehow, it seemed manmade, as if someone was caught and tried to escape a terrible fate, but couldn't. Did something activate one or several birthing tanks? I don't even want to think about that, Sharon wailed inwardly.

The escape pod's brain was still proceeding to its endless pre-launch diagnostic, and the slight beeps were playing with Sharon's nerves. She was staring at the little screen - unusual for Cylon technology - and the colored status lights, as if hypnotized. They just destroy everything. Cavil was right. Why hunt them down if they will do the job themselves, if you give them enough time?

At this moment, seven panel lights formed a pattern which looked remarkably similar to a star constellation Sharon used to observe when she was a kid, from the window of her bedroom, and she hated herself for noticing that.

Warning : detecting main antigravitational field failure - switching to emergency system - maximum capacity : 120 g.

The Eight shivered. One hundred twenty g? What the frak? Must the shuttle accelerate that strongly? If there is a glitch, there won't be more of me left than bones and flesh splattered all over here. Brutally conscious of her precarious situation, Sharon panicked. The sharp cries/noises were perceptible again - or maybe they never left, but the Cylon had managed not to hear them. Now she was fully awake.

Sharon tried to put her wounded hands on her ears to cover the sounds of agony, but only succeeded partially. She could feel blood on both sides of her face, flowing from her fractured fingers. She called for help. Shouted names of persons she cared for or had cared for. Humans or Cylons? At this point, it did no longer matter. Cavil. Caprica. Galen. Helo. Adama. Her mother. The Lords of Kobol. The Only God. Kendra.

Kendra. As if it were just activated, a tiny parcel of her mind told her that she had to calm down. That everything would be fine. Sharon put her hands away from her head. She didn't scream anymore.

Shuttle ready. FTL-jump available when launch completed.

Then the pod began to vibrate, a deep and welcome mechanic sound inflated - there was no doubt about its origin, this time, and anyway, Sharon was no longer afraid - , and the shuttle rose on a flame pillar, gaining speed incredibly fast, and getting away from the exploding inferno the Hub had transformed into.

Thank you.

Serendipity (Pierre)

Were it not that I have bad dreams...

Why now, Karl? she would say. You are really asking me to do that? And he would just stare at her, not knowing what to answer.

She tried to kill our daughter, his wife would add. Helo could already visualize the scene: Sharon sitting at the side of the bed, looking at him with reprobation, her brown eyes reflecting her surprise and incredulity. Hera would probably still be sleeping, her regular breathing barely audible, as Sharon's actually was right now.

The Human/Cylon coalition had reached the end of their journey. Earth. A sinister, radioactive and desolate mess. Helo hadn't imagined the Promised Land like that. For the moment, they were living in tents, hastily constructed shelters, maybe giving them the unconscious illusion that this situation was only temporary and that on the other side of the next hill, there would be green luxuriant grass growing, with why not an Ambrosia lake nearby.

Helo himself had found refuge in his thoughts. For him, the War was over. He considered himself as extremely lucky: his wife and child were safe and with him. So many times, he had been close to death. On Caprica, he only searched to survive. He managed that, and even found love. An unexpected, impossible love, but which made him the fortunate man he realized he was now. Baltar would know a fancy word for this, Helo thought, as he caressed the black hair - just slightly darker than the ambient obscurity - of his sleeping Cylon wife with his eyes.

I'm not a copy, I'm Sharon, she had answered to Starbuck's accusation. Helo remembered it as it was yesterday. So many things had happened since then. Atrocious things he wanted/tried to forget. Recently, perhaps because now he had a little more time and less urgent tasks to distract him, guilt feelings seemed to influence the direction of his thoughts. Helo had failed to protect Sharon on several occasions. She had been hurt, and he blamed himself for that. There was also the face of that other Sharon, the one he had encountered during the mission in the Resurrection Hub, which was sometimes floating before his eyes. Her beautiful face awfully distorted by sorrow and disappointment, and then, brutally, wearing the terrible mask of pain and Death. Helo could still feel her soft hands touching and massaging the tensed muscles of his neck. He had seen Sharon dead - Gods, he had shot her - and shouted his despair to the universe, but deep inside, there had been hope. Hope that she would come again.

And there was Boomer. Her childish face, as she pathetically tried to convince herself that of course, he was joking, of course, he wouldn't give his seat away and abandon her; later, the little boy sitting at her right, tears rolling on her both cheeks, and the Raptor gaining height, getting smaller and smaller, until Helo was alone, bathed by the last orange rays of the sunset and facing the angry and scared crowd. Did this young and easily frightened rookie become a child-murdering Cylon?

So, as he was examining the skin texture of Sharon's naked arms, transformed by some moonlight entering the tent through the plastic window into silver rivers, Helo wondered. I just want to know, that's all. He had realized that his wife had changed. Her Cyloness appeared more and more to be a burden to her. Sharon seemed uneasy in company of her people. Helo didn't totally understand it, - he loved her, that was enough for him - but he accepted it. They hadn't spoken much about some topics. The Cylon blonde called Natalie. The four "new" Cylons, representing the "Five". And Boomer.

Helo didn't exactly know what he expected Sharon to do. Maybe he only wanted to flatter his own conscience. And he was realizing that what he was hesitantly preparing himself to ask her would cost her more than him. Perhaps someone could give a hint. This woman, this Cylon, whose ECO he had been, was most probably dead. But he was hoping that Sharon would finally declare that she would try. All right, Karl, maybe D'Anna knows something. He was hoping that his wife would be able to forgive him for this delusory quest. And, lastly, he was hoping that, if he really was condemned to this, the next time he would dream of her, there wouldn't be such an unbearably desperate look on Boomer's face.

Post subject: Re: Last Fic'er Standing Compilation, Kindreds, Helo/Sharon, G
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:46 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Thanks for re-posting this, Molly. I'll try to send you the full formatted ready-to-post versions for my contributions (italics, bold, etc) soon.

Last edited by Pierre on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 am 
Administrator

Pierre wrote:
You can't post your own?

Huh? What? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 pm 

Quote:
You can't post your own?

Ok, I didn't write that.

EDIT: oops, Molly hit the wrong button. All clear. :)

Last edited by Pierre on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:55 pm 
Administrator

Pierre wrote:
Ok, I DIDN'T WRITE THAT. What happened??? :shrug:

I think I may have hit "Edit" instead of reply.

So, as I was saying; you can't post your own corrections? :hugs:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:03 pm 

Oh, and I was already thinking of worse things... no problem at all, then.
Uh, yes, I could post the formatted versions, in another thread or in this one, but of course, I can't edit your posts. :)
But it's a good idea, since my few contributions weren't beta-tested and need certainly some cleaning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:12 pm 
Administrator

Man, I almost just hit edit again. That button is where "post" is on Skiffy and another board I go to. I bet I am the worst for doing that.

Send me your formatted corrections and I'll post them. At least LJ lets you post stuff with italics and bolds and stuff from Word now. That took.....forever.

There will be no worse things here. It's not allowed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Pierre wrote:
Thanks for re-posting this, Molly.

Yes, thanks! :ok:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:15 pm 

Great. I'll do it. Could take several days: have to enjoy the last (sunny) days of my holidays.

(some above posts edited, now that the "mystery" has been explained)

Last edited by Pierre on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:16 pm 
Administrator

I'm working on posting all the compiled stuff that I have; I don't want to post work of people who aren't here, though. So I am waiting on a few people to show up. You are welcome. I want to have the best damn Tahmoh/Grace/Sharon/Helo fanfic collection on the Internet.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:10 pm 

I have edited my fics (adding italic text when it was needed), inserted some illustrations and put the titles in bold text.
Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

A set of fine-cut jewels here. Glad to read them again :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:33 pm 
Administrator

It's funny, sometimes when I reread these, I can't remember what parts are mine, they fit together so well.