It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New ATS 5 Times Project!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:37 pm 
Administrator

Five Things That Happened To Helo And Sharon On Earth- And The One Thing That Didn't.

(Don't forget to post the fic parts in alternate color.)

Post subject: Re: New ATS 5 Times Project!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:07 am 
Cylon Bible Thumper

1. They built a house together
2. They got to watch Hera grow up
3. They lived a long happy life
4. They formed the basis for human/cylon joining as one people
5. They formed the basis for todays civilization
and one they didn't- They didn't need to every worry about the conflict between humans and cylons ever again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:21 am 
Administrator

Simple, elegant. Pure Bob.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:51 pm 
Second Seat

Title: Five Things That Happened to Helo and Athena on Earth, and the One Thing that Didn’t
Rating: G
Disclaimer: Not mine
A/N: Been away finishing school and writing fic for other fandoms. For the challenge over on Across the Salt. Some of this story makes vague references to my other story, Parental Guidance, over here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=230, or over here at my LJ: http://threemeows.livejournal.com/3385.html#cutid1.

One.

“Frak. Frak, frak frak frak FRAK.”

“Daddy said a bad word.”

Sharon sighs, looks over from where she’s been digging the latrine pit to where Karl is standing, muttering over the log that he has just sawed. “He said several bad words. What’s wrong, babe?”

“Cut the frakking thing too short,” he calls back.

“Again?”

“Yes, Sharon, again. Gods!” Then he kicks the log with his good leg, and stubs his toe. “Frak!”

“Language,” Hera says, sing-song, as she plays with her doll.

Two.

Karl wakes with a fever just a few days short of Hera’s eighth birthday. Hera travels to the creek and back with pails of cool water; Sharon wipes his brow, feeds him broth and tries not to worry.

“Sorry baby, that you had such a crummy birthday,” she whispers against Hera’s forehead, as she watches Karl sleep, pale and a little restless, on their shared pallet.

Hera shrugs, and leans over to kiss the side of his nose. “It’s okay,” she says, as she straightens. “As long as Daddy gets better.”

Three.

She thinks she’s pregnant, and plans a big dinner – rabbit, potatoes from their little garden, the thing that they pass off as bread from the village. But in the middle of boiling the potatoes, her period comes. She spends dinner quiet and withdrawn, listens to Hera prattle on about the settlement gossip, Karl’s praises about how it’s the best rabbit he’s tasted.

“So what was that for?” he asks, when they tuck in for the night, his arm over her waist and his breath warm and loving on the back of her neck.

She can’t face him when she says it. “Thought I was pregnant.”

He doesn’t sigh, doesn’t say anything. Then he kisses her on the shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

She turns around, her forehead against his chest, to listen to his heart – his lovely heart, alive and whole and full of love for her and their little girl. “I’m sorry, too.”

Four.

“I hate him! I really, really, really hate him! Gods! Boys!” Hera rages, stamping around the living area like on of those great horned beasts that they see sometimes on the plains.

Karl smothers a grin against his hand, eyeing Sharon across the dining table. But she’s studiously ignoring him, her face impassive, as she works on fixing a fishing net.

“I’m a boy,” he says, calmly. “Do you hate me?” And he catches Sharon’s lips quirking, but to her credit, she doesn’t laugh.

“Yes, you too!” Hera exclaims, then catches herself. “Oh, no, Dad, I didn’t mean that. It’s just . . . why are they so stupid?”

Karl glances over at Sharon. “Don’t look at me,” she says. “I often ask the same question.”

He rolls his eyes, and motions over at Hera sit. “Well, the thing about boys, Hera, is . . .”

Five.

He thinks he spots Kara one day. He’s fishing, his reed hat in his eye, and there’s a glint that’s not from the creek. When he looks up, though, she’s not there – if she ever was, to begin with.

When Hera’s in bed and they’re still up, talking by the fire, Sharon says, “So, what’s wrong?”

He shrugs, flips through the book that he’s read for probably the six hundredth time. “Nothing. Just . . . just thought I saw something.”

“Saw what?” She flips through her own book – one that she’s read for probably the six hundredth time.

He sighs. “Thought I saw Starbuck. By the creek.”

The fire spits and snaps for a moment. She leaves the room, then comes back, and lays the little box down in front of him.

He chuckles, rueful, and opens it – their dogtags, their pins. And photos of Kara’s artwork.

They begin to reminisce about lost friends. When it’s time for bed, they curl on their sides, facing each other, and he kisses her forehead.

“Thank you.”

And the one thing that didn’t.

They bury her and her husband in a field.

The funeral is a small one. When the last person leaves, Sharon holds her granddaughter close to her face and tries to relearn how to breathe.

Karl blindly reaches out for her free hand, and she grasps it, trying to quell his shaking. “It’s okay,” she blurts out. “It’s okay . . . it’ll be okay, right? Right?”

He says nothing at first, only holds her and the baby close. “Yes, yes it’s okay,” he says eventually, but his voice trembles.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:04 pm 
Cylon Bible Thumper

awesome, best Sharon/Helo in a long time :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Nice little bits of life full of emotion and sensitivity. Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:37 pm 
Administrator

That last one is tough! :sad: