All times are UTC

Post subject: Trust, by MrsTater [Helo/Sharon, PG]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:41 pm 

Title: Trust
Author: MrsTater
Characters/Pairings: Helo/Sharon
Rating & Warnings: PG for mild innuendo
Format & Word Count: ficlet, 557 words
Summary: After his promotion to XO, Helo sees about making a change in his relationship with Sharon, too.
Author's Note: I've always wanted to write Helo/Sharon, but never had the inspiration till I took drabble requests and a friend suggested Helo and Sharon during the stint on New Caprica. There are definitely a lot of blanks to fill in for them during that year, particularly how they go from being estranged to married! I'm not sure I've got the sequence of events quite right, but this is what came to me. Unbetaed and first BSG fic ever, so please be kind -- but I do appreciate feedback and concrit!

Trust

Helo stands holding the telephone receiver to his ear for a full minute before Sharon sits up on her cot, swings her feet over the edge, and shuffles to the phone on her side of the cell. As if the one diversion in another day of solitary confinement bores her.

Not dissuaded, he tells her, "Tigh went planetside."

A brief pause, then the real news, the part that affects him, hopefully affects her, too: "Adama promoted me to XO."

"Congratulations," says Sharon, "on being the only officer left on Galactica to promote."

Mocking words, but true. Helo smiles wryly. He knows he's no Starbuck, no Apollo, never will be, and harbors no ambition beyond serving Galactica to the utmost of his ability. But his military value isn't what matters now.

"Sharon." The fingers of his free hand curl around the chain-link grid outside the glass. "Adama trusts me again."

For an instant Sharon's eyes flicker -- the first emotion he's seen in them since Hera...Only it vanishes again, so quickly and completely that Helo can almost understand how those who used to call her friend now call her a machine. Almost. But he watched her Cylon heart break.

"Why be XO of a ship with no crew?" she asks. "Why not go to New Caprica, make a life for yourself, like everyone else?"

"Because I already have a life. Right here."

His fingers slip between the mesh to touch the unyielding glass between them. He wills Sharon to lift her fingers, to come as close to touching him as they can manage. Her arm remains wrapped around her belly.

"Our baby's dead, Helo."

Always, it comes back to that. Always, he feels so impotent to ease Sharon's pain. But can't she see how it hurts him, too? How he needs her as much as he believes she needs him?

"I loved you before we had a baby," he says. "I loved you more during the little time we had her. And I love you even more now."

She looks up at him; he thinks he sees the glisten of tears, though it could be the lights glaring off the glass.

"Please, Sharon, let me love you." He draws in a long breath through his nose, and asks what he came here to ask, though he didn't realize it till now. "Marry me."

He holds his breath as she stares at him. "Marry you."

It's a stupid idea, but he doesn't care. "Yes. Be my wife."

Sharon's gaze breaks from his to dart around the cell that confines her. "That's taking the old ball and chain a little far, isn't it?"

The slightest smile plays at the corners of her lips, and as Helo laughs, she brings her fingers to his against the glass. Quiet falls over them. Peace, or something like it, at last.

"How will we do it?" asks Sharon. "Will I have to say I do over a frakking phone?"

Helo doesn't know. He's making this up as he goes. Maybe not so unlike Starbuck, after all.

"I'm the XO. That has to be in our favor, doesn't it?"

Sharon nods, and something of that old glint flashes in her eyes. "Think it'd be pressing our luck to ask for a conjugal visit for our wedding night, Captain Agathon?"

"I'll see what I can do."

Post subject: Re: Trust, by MrsTater [Helo/Sharon, PG]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:24 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

I think it's a nice fic. Thanks for posting it here. Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:32 pm 
Administrator

Yay! You posted! Welcome to ATS.

I think my favorite line is the one that is the most Helo; "Please, Sharon, let me love you." He's always been the guy who can ask for what he wants, and doesn't worry about seeming weak.

I like the way you've written them a lot here, and some of your word choices are great; the use of impotent and dissuaded.

Thank you for posting, and welcome!
:rock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:43 pm 
Cylon

Short but sweet and very polished. Evokes that era of BSG nicely. Welcome, and thanks for posting!

Last edited by Scrawny71 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:58 am 
Cylon Bible Thumper

I love Sharon/Helo missing year fic! This is no exception!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:51 am 
Constable

Let me echo thanks for posting.

Missing year Helo/Athena fiction is always a favorite. So many different ways you can imagine it, and this is a nice one.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:44 pm 
Second Seat

This was cute and a different look into the missing time. I liked Athena's last quote at the end. It made me Lol.