It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: Sometimes a Stupid Notion, NT2, Boomer/Tyrol, Boomer/Cavil,
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:29 pm 
Hera's Fiance

First of all, now it is doubly weird because you mention Van Halen's "Why Can't This Be Love?" as a musical inspiration you used in the Boomer/Galen fight scene. I also picked that song to help get me in the right mindset to create a scene in a fanfic that I don't want to spoil by giving any more details on, but I'll point it out to you later.

Secondly, WOW. I hadn't picked up on the fact that the cycles the Final Five were doing by wiping and rewriting the Cylons was a miniature of the same thing that the BSG god was doing with the "this has happened before and will happen again" stuff. Very nicely done. I can tell a lot of thought went into this story. When I have time I'll definately have to reread it and see how much more I pick up the second time. Now I can do it with a soundtrack.

As a writer how much of the symbolism, depth, literary or historical references etc. that you put into your story never gets commented on by the readers? A lot? A little?

BTW, In case you hadn't noticed Jack had a URL tag for inserting mp3's into posts.

I just haven't figured out how to put background music into fanfic without stepping into copyright problems.

Post subject: Re: Sometimes a Stupid Notion, NT2, Boomer/Tyrol, Boomer/Cav
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

After a recent conversation with several different people, I went back and reread this. And I just wanted to say that, if anything, it’s more impressive when you know what’s going to happen. You really see the detail work. It’s got me stringing together things other people have said.

Take Ellen. The first time through she seems to get a bit of short shrift. But she’s actually as important as anyone. Because she’s Boomer before there was a Boomer. She fell victim to the angels and their promises, same as a lot of people I guess. But she’s there at the end as the ghost everyone can still become. Boomer unwittingly confronts one of her own possible futures. That would be the one where she’s like Ellen on the Colony, where she kills Galen and is left sobbing that it wasn’t supposed to be that way. The one where everything happens again, and she’ll cry that it’s not her fault as everything fails. All she has to do to seal her own fate is kill Ellen.

Instead she both hates and forgives Ellen. She’s seen enough of life on both sides of the salt to truly understand that Ellen didn’t mean for this to happen. That’s why she finds some bitter shred of compassion to offer.

--------------------
"Elllen Tigh, leader of and traitor to the Final Five on the Colony, tyrant to the race you created…” Their eyes bore into one another as they should for a moment like this. Forever destined. “I find that I do not want your life. I understand you better than I thought, and if you believe my hate is true, you will know my forgiveness is true.”

Ellen stands stunned, waits for a punch line that doesn’t come.

“We may all be dead within the hour,” says Boomer. “Find what peace you can, with my blessing.” Boomer’s jaw actually clenches on that last. Her teeth grit as she turns away.
--------------------

That foreshadows so much. It echoes her earlier compassion for the dying Eight who tried to kill her. Without even realizing it, she’s internalizing the tragedy of the Cycles. God’s tragedy. So Ellen finally does help Boomer, and there’s so many little bits like that in this. Like how Baltar helps Lee become the man he should be again. It’s a bank shot from letting him know Boomer is important. He awakens Lee to the tragedy of the Cycles in his own way, which yields compassion when it’s needed for Boomer. And even Ellen.

And that’s what Cavil’s insane idea was. What if they were all sleepers? The worst that happens is they all die like they’re supposed to anyway. But maybe they can become beautiful instead, like the Cycles always should have been. Because maybe in waking up, they’ll help each other do that.

The ending still gets to me. I know others have said this, but it’s an inspired conclusion to the prophecies. Boomer is supposed to kill Galen for a promise that won’t come true. That’s how she’ll become the agent of death for the Colonials and Cylons, betray them all as one more Cycle reaches its hopeless end.

Only she doesn’t kill Galen. But she’s still the agent of death, the one who betrayed them all. Only she’s the agent of death for the one who cannot be named. And her betrayal is simply forgiveness. Untold generations hate the Battlestar God, deserve their revenge, every last Cycle’s worth, but when God is finally on its knees, she doesn’t give them that. Because she understands the only way you can: she lived it. It all began with someone so crushed they went down hating forever. It ends with someone too beaten down, too hopeless, to feel anything but compassion.

--------------------
I’m not your Empress... The knife touches Galen’s skin. And I'm not your savior... She feels a tear slip from his eye, dammed against her cheek. And I can't fix this... The device twirls in her hand.

I'm just Boomer.

Sharon Valerii bolts up turning away from Galen. The agent of death. She hurls this obscene, exquisite thing in her hand to smash on the rocks. The one who betrayed them all. She stands there, arms raised to the heavens, sobbing with the magnitude of what she’s done.

Standing all alone.
--------------------

And those bookend quotes:

"All you have to write is one true sentence.
Write the truest sentence that you know."

"We never know, believe me, when we have succeeded best."

Sleepers all. That was the saving grace. And it was the gift of a mad Cylon who went down hating, but dreamed of something better. Just like the Battlestar God.

Talk about a plan.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:17 am 
Constable

Thanks.

You make it sound better than I'd hoped. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:14 pm 
Rook

I’ve been trying to figure out what to say about this, and I’m at a bit of a loss. I, too, just reread it, and I agree with others. It’s better the second time around.

The thing that just blows me away is the characterization. The intricate planning on display seems to begin with that. The story is an ensemble piece that involves all the show’s characters, but the twin pillars that drive the end are Boomer and Baltar. And that’s brilliant insight. Boomer and Baltar are the two single biggest messes at the end of the show. You can’t construct something all that coherent out of either. And this story turns that into a strength.

Boomer and Baltar are like we see them in the beginning. Neither of them can really figure out who they are. Boomer’s got so many conflicting impulses it seems hopeless, and Baltar has spent his whole adult life building personas of convenience. The plot is constructed around the two of them having to resolve that. And in doing so, not only do they unravel a true science fiction puzzle piece. They also prove that humanity deserves to survive. Baltar proves it intellectually in his moment of truth. Boomer proves it emotionally in hers. And thus the answer is complete.

That puzzle also dovetails perfectly with Adama’s original speech. A long time ago, humans and machines failed that test. That’s what set the cycles in motion. So the only way out is to pass the test, because that’s the only way “God” can quit killing everyone, with the best of intentions. :dizzy: Man, I just wrote that sentence and it boggles my mind. It’s horrific, absurd, and desperately compassionate. Just like life.

Cavil knows he can’t pass that test. The big wretched truth of his life is that none of them can pass it on their own. The Plan is simply to give them a chance to help each other over that hump. That’s what’s so amazing about the end. Boomer and Baltar are the main actors, but everyone else is critical as well. Because everyone else is lifting them up. No one is alone when it really matters, which is about as close to an ideal of God as you can get.

As Cavil said, bravo. :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:14 pm 
Constable

thanks for this site wrote:
I’ve been trying to figure out what to say about this, and I’m at a bit of a loss. I, too, just reread it, and I agree with others. It’s better the second time around.

The thing that just blows me away is the characterization. The intricate planning on display seems to begin with that. The story is an ensemble piece that involves all the show’s characters, but the twin pillars that drive the end are Boomer and Baltar. And that’s brilliant insight. Boomer and Baltar are the two single biggest messes at the end of the show. You can’t construct something all that coherent out of either. And this story turns that into a strength.

Boomer and Baltar are like we see them in the beginning. Neither of them can really figure out who they are. Boomer’s got so many conflicting impulses it seems hopeless, and Baltar has spent his whole adult life building personas of convenience. The plot is constructed around the two of them having to resolve that. And in doing so, not only do they unravel a true science fiction puzzle piece. They also prove that humanity deserves to survive. Baltar proves it intellectually in his moment of truth. Boomer proves it emotionally in hers. And thus the answer is complete.

That puzzle also dovetails perfectly with Adama’s original speech. A long time ago, humans and machines failed that test. That’s what set the cycles in motion. So the only way out is to pass the test, because that’s the only way “God” can quit killing everyone, with the best of intentions. :dizzy: Man, I just wrote that sentence and it boggles my mind. It’s horrific, absurd, and desperately compassionate. Just like life.

Cavil knows he can’t pass that test. The big wretched truth of his life is that none of them can pass it on their own. The Plan is simply to give them a chance to help each other over that hump. That’s what’s so amazing about the end. Boomer and Baltar are the main actors, but everyone else is critical as well. Because everyone else is lifting them up. No one is alone when it really matters, which is about as close to an ideal of God as you can get.

As Cavil said, bravo. :clap:

:thx:

An interesting thing (to me at least) it that I never really cared for Baltar all that much on the show (isn't it obvious in the beginning of this? :biggrin:). But I found him more and more compelling as the story progressed. I knew his role early on, but I was definitely fonder of him at the end than the start. Cavil, too. Writing the back story for the Final Five left me intrinsically sympathetic to him no matter how messed up he was.

And yeah, the whole idea was to have almost everyone be critical to the resolution in some way. It was a team effort, and no one was alone when it really mattered.

Not even the BSG God.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:33 am 
Hera's Fiance

Nice to see how many positive reviews this story has gotten on the interwebs:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22sometimes+a+stupid+notion%22&pbx=1&oq=%22sometimes+a+stupid+notion%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=13430l17607l1l17825l27l21l1l0l0l0l226l2755l3.15.3l22l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=853e2c79dce3e349&biw=1366&bih=654

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22sometimes+a+stupid+notion%22&go=&qs=n&sk=&sc=1-26&form=QBLH

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AgI.Xolirb6mDQQAOHQtdFubvZx4?p=%22sometimes+a+stupid+notion%22&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

My favorite is a comment on one page

"To this day I'm still vaguely amazed that a show I admired so much could end in a manner that wouldn't be out of place on Mystery Science Theater. How exactly did that happen? In a way, it's a real achievement of sorts.

But honestly, I never realized how bad it truly was until I read this fan fiction on the Internet called "Sometimes a Stupid Notion." It takes up where the show left off and, after making fun of it, actually repairs all the damage in a "Season 5", makes sense out of the nonsense, and ends in truly epic fashion."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:31 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Yes, it's really impressive. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 pm 
Hera's Fiance

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Dark+Side/4gSfzl?src=5

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:15 pm 
Mayor of Dogsville

Last edited by jxf011 on Mon May 13, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:20 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

I congratulate you on your effort. Thanks. :clap:

I trust this means you liked it. It's certainly the best fan fic I've ever read. The scope of the vision, and the ability to pull it off, is worthy of an actual published novel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:23 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Yes, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:47 am 
Site Admin

For those owning an eBook reader I've converted the word file into epub.

The link to the file is here

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25