It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Redacted, by C Taylor, Boomer, Hera, G
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:07 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Redacted
by Chris Taylor

Lt. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii walked slowly down the corridor of the Cylon base ship with Hera in her arms and an osmium-dense ball of nausea in the pit of her stomach. Her helpless burden clung tightly to her neck and buried her face against Boomer's shoulder as she cried quietly. Boomer whispered to her, trying to give some small comfort to the innocent girl who she was betraying... one more betrayal in a long line of them. She had betrayed her shipmates, her friends, her beloved Chief. She had burned all her bridges... destroyed everything dear to her and abandon any chance to ever have it again. But still Boomer walked forward, pushing thoughts of Adama, and Kara, and Helo, and Chief, and Hera out of her mind. Instead she tried to imagine the future: families and laughing children and dozens of planets full of healthy and vibrant and, most importantly, fertile Cylons. She thought of all the millions and millions of Cylons yet to be born from now until the ending of time that were counting on her to be strong. Boomer told herself that maybe, just maybe, she had managed to save her race from extinction today. But in the here and now Hera still embraced her neck and sobbed in fear while each step forward seemed harder than the next.

Finally Boomer rounded a corner to see Cavil and Simon waiting for her. "Why couldn't these lazy clods have met me at the airlock?" she wondered to herself as she handed Hera over to Cavil. Cavil was prattling on about what a good job she had done, but at that moment Boomer didn't care to hear it. She had taken all these horrible sins on her shoulders for the sake of all those yet-to-be born generations, not for any commendation or recognition. Just the opposite, Sharon Valerii hoped that the future she had bought with the last pieces of her old life would never remember her and what she had done. More, she wished that she could even forget herself.

Hera did not resist when Cavil took her. She did not look at Simon as he pulled a small, tubular, polished metal device from his pocket with one hand and swiped a cotton ball across her upper arm with the other. She tensed but did not cry out when Simon pressed the tip the device against her arm and held it there while it produced a serpent like hiss as the end began to glow dull red. Suddenly the light on the end of the device switched from red to green. Simon pulled the strange device away from Hera's arm, and with inhumanly quick precision applied a pink, decorated strip of tape to the pin-prick wound it had produced. "Okay, I've got her DNA," he announced proudly, "You can take her back now."

"WHAT?!!" Boomer exclaimed. "That's all you needed!?"

"I said I needed her DNA." Simon explained. "Ordinarily I'd have swabbed the inside of her cheek, but with something this important I needed to be sure."

"But why in Hades did you have me bring her all the way here for this?! I could have just stuck her with that freaking thing on Galactica and collected the sample myself!"

"Oh, no," Simon explained, "This is a very complicated and advanced medical device. I had to be sure the procedure was preformed properly."

"You pressed the sampler against her skin and waited for the light to turn green!! How is that complicated?" Boomer demanded.

"You forgot about the antiseptic swipe and covering the puncture in her epidermis," Simon pointed out. "Had you carelessly taken the sample without these precautions Hera would have been exposed to a risk of infection."

"AAAAAGH!!!!" Boomer screamed incoherently as she shook her tightly balled fists in the air. "Gosh Darn It! You freaking buttheads! Unicorn Hooves and Teddy Bear Stuffing!!!"

"Wait a moment," Admiral Adama interrupted, "Is that what Boomer really said?"

"Noooo," Hera admitted as she looked down at the floor and picked at the small Snugglie Bear (tm) adhesive bandage on her arm. "Auntie Boomer has a potty mouth." The diminutive interviewee then looked up at Adama and whispered, "Mommy will wash my mouth out with soap if I say those words."

Admiral Adama glanced at Commander Tigh, and then assured Hera, "That's okay, sweetheart. I don't want to get you in trouble and I think we know what Boomer probably really said. Thank you. Now Uncle Tigh and I have to do some grown-up talking, so you have to go back outside with your dad."

After the door closed Adama said, "Well, Saul, what do you think?" as he leaned over slightly to pluck a small, unblemished orange from an extravagant wooden basket.

"That might be how it happened," Tigh said as he frowned. "But I still wouldn't eat any of that fruit."

"I know Cylons can be devious, but do you really think Boomer went through all that just as an elaborate ploy to slip me a poisoned clementine?"

"I hope so," Tigh replied, "Because I gave my basket to Baltar."

Post subject: Re: Redacted, by C Taylor, Boomer, Hera, G
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:46 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Well, thanks for still being there! (can't say I am...)

Nice story! And interesting "switch to Hera's debriefing" (unless I got it all wrong)

(I permitted myself to edit the "Admrial" typo)

I hope it continues...

:platy:

Post subject: Re: Redacted, by C Taylor, Boomer, Hera, G
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:13 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Thanks, Pierre.

I guess the origin of this little story goes back to watching the last few episodes and wondering if they only needed Hera's DNA then why couldn't they just swab her cheek for some and dispense with all the kidnapping. But of course, the kidnapping was what was really important as a plot point and little things like logical consistency had long since been blown away in the gale of 'must make it darker' writing at the end of BSG. Still, it bothered me.

The story came together in my head a couple of nights ago when Charlie woke me up in the middle of the night as I was trying to go back to sleep and I banged it out over my lunch break.

I don't expect it to continue, but now that I've stretched my writing muscles a little I catch myself trying to figure out if I could find time to write the 3rd part of OTS.

I had originally thought to title the story Bowdlerized, but changed it to Redacted to remove any hint of the perspective shift that was going to happen. If you reread the story you may notice a couple of other places earlier in the story where Boomer might actually have cursed but that Hera's recounting whitewashes. I wanted to keep the little girl's toning down of Boomer's actual dialog unnoticed until the ridiculously sanitized rant at the end makes the reader wonder WTF? just before the transition. Of course Hera can't really recount what was going on in Boomer's mind (or can she?) but it is just supposed to be a fun little 'trick' story so why get bogged down with a little logical inconsistency?