It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Non-Algae Recipes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:04 pm 
Administrator

I haven't done the candied apples or pears yet because when I got back from PA I burned through six boxes of Tastykakes and four bags of Herr's potato chips and put on three pounds, which need to come off before I eat a lot of sugar again.

Hmm. I need to give you all my wine-poached pear recipe, but I need to make it first so I can remember amounts.

The Cabot Greek yogurt can be used in dips and on baked potatoes, or dropped in soups, in place of sour cream in anything, as cake batter ingredients, and the flavored ones (especially the vanilla with the generous flecks of vanilla bean) are delicious by themselves, or with fruit. I also put the flavored ones on oatmeal. http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/products.php?catID=17 :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:16 am 
Administrator

I got the recipe from the Martha Stewart Everday Food magazine, and of course, having made it, had to mess with it. This is the unmessed with version, followed by the messed with, and why......

Cranberry Upside Down Cake -

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 3/4 cups cranberries
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in center. Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round cake pan with 2 tablespoons butter. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of pan; arrange cranberries in a single layer on top.
- With an electric mixer, cream remaining 6 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until well combined. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, until well combined.
- Spoon batter over cranberries in pan, and smooth top. Place pan on a baking sheet; bake cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake; invert onto a rimmed platter.

My additions, subtractions and comments:

For the next time I make it, I will use twice the cranberries the recipe calls for- it needed more. I will also bake the cran/sugar/spice mixture for about ten minutes before I pour in the cake batter, because the berries and sugar didn't make quite enough syrup to soak the cake. If you give them a bit of a head starrt, it will help. Also, I'd make it in a Bundt pan- a flat pan looks pretty, and works fine, but it had a tendency to stick when I inverted it, and people who have used Bundt pans say it works better. I'd also add about 1/2 tblsp of melted butter to the cran/sugar/spice mix to help the syrup along. Overbaking the cake (after the toothpick is clean +5 min) helps make a denser cake; also I might take a skewer to the cake itself while it's cooling to make channels for the syrup to run.

I put a little vanilla extract in the cran mixture as well, just because I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:49 pm 
Administrator

Because I love you guys, and you are all awesome, I am sharing my family's Super Sekrit Shrimp Dip recipe.

This stuff is so good that once mom made it to take to a holiday gathering (two pounds of shrimp, no less) and she and David and I ate it ALL standing around the kitchen table and had to bring something else to the party on the fly. :oops:

This recipe is easy to adjust for more people; just double the amounts and it works fine.

Spoiler: show
Curried Chilled Shrimp Dip

1 lb shrimp, cooked, chilled and peeled (no shells).
If I am in a hurry, I have in the past bought precooked shrimp at the store and it works fine, but I prefer to cook the shrimp myself, in beer, if I have it.

Coarsely chop shrimp (I do it in the food processor, on "pulse", so it's a nice coarse grind- don't make into a paste, leave some texture. Like if you were making shrimp granola.) and chill.

4 tblsp mayonnaise (I prefer Hellman's, but other kinds work.)
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
squeeze of lemon juice (I cut a half lemon and give it a hearty squeeze, then pick the seeds out of the mayo)

Mix mayo, salt, lemon and curry together to make a smooth sauce. Fold in shrimp, mixing thoroughly. Chill for 1-2 hours (if you can, we never get that far :blush: ).

Serve on melba toast. (This is very important, actually- the melba adds a toastiness and crunch.)

It's an incredibly simple recipe, and so delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:44 pm 
Raptor Wrangler

My favorite Christmas cookies, from a recipe printed in the local news paper years ago.
They're called Festive Fudge-Filled Bars, but around my house we always just called them Chocolate Bars.

2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1.5 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts work well)
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed.
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup margarine, melted
2 TBSP vegetable shortening
2.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
.5 cups shredded coconut (I hate coconut and leave it out)

Combine oats, flour, nuts, sugar, soda and salt; mix well. Add melted margarine and stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1.5 cups of mixture and press remaining mixture into the bottom of a well-greased 15.5x10.5 inch jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) Make sure you push it into the corners and don't leave any holes. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt shortening in a heavy sauce pan. Add 1.5 cups of the chocolate chips, stir over very low heat until the chips are melted. Remove from heat and stir in the condensed milk. Spread over the partially baked crust, leaving a .5 inch edge around the pan.

Combine the reserved crumb mixture with the remaining chocolate chips and coconut if your using it. Sprinkle over the chocolate, pressing in lighting. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool and cut into bars.

Also, you should most definitely lick the pan, because the melted chocolate/condensed milk mixture is heavenly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:41 pm 
Administrator

Oh, man, I LOVE those things, but they are so expensive (and so high-calorie) that I don't make them often. I do mine with pure butter and not margarine or oil, and I use butterscotch AND chocolate chips. :drool:

Yeah, we use butter these days too, but I've never tried it with butterscotch. I'll have to do that next time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:23 am 
Raptor Wrangler

Just had some of the cranberry upside down cake. Yummy! Followed Rose's advice and used more cranberry's than the recipe calls for (I didn't measure, just used a full package). She also suggested that I cook the cranberries on the stovetop before hand, which I did. It got a nice syrup going, but next time I'll cook them down a little further to increase that syrup amount.

I also melted some white chocolate and drizzled it over the top. Not enough that it covered like a frosting, just enough to add a little extra decoration.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:26 am 
Administrator

Ooh, white chocolate. That sounds yummy.

I made an on-the-fly cranberry sauce (now new and improved, with explosions!) and here's the how-to.

1 bag of cranberries (wash them) and let them sit in a bowl unrefrigerated for a week.

Half-bottle of cheap sparkling wine (I used an almond-flavored sparkling.)
If not the almond sparkling wine, use 1 teaspoon almond extract in the wine.
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Put the cranberries into a metal pan on high heat. Slosh in about a cup of the wine. Bring to boil. Boil for about 5-10 minutes WITH THE LID ON THE POT, until the cranberies stop exploding.

Simmer on medium/low (bubbling, not boiling) uncovered, periodically adding in more wine, until the cranberries become a thick sauce. Add sugar and stir; I used very little sugar, because I like tart sauces.

This stuff is awesome.

After three tries, I also made perfect popovers. :bounce:

Calvin also enjoyed our dinner. He got in trouble because one of my guests was feeding him under the table. The guest got in trouble, too.
:B-cat:

Here was my menu for today;

Roast leg of lamb stuffed with garlic cloves and fresh rosemary
Pan dripping roast potatoes and parsnips
Apple cider vinegar glazed carrots with fresh ginger (incredibly good cider vinegar from France.)
Beets with white truffle oil (my gift from sabaceanbabe)
Kale and mustard greens with smoked chipotle sauce
Popovers with cranberry butter
Almond-champagne cranberry compote

Dessert was a raspberry tart, and for drinks I got a friend to bring those fabulous Pellegrino Arunciata and Limonata.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:16 am 
Hera's Fiance

My wife made some deviled eggs with bacon in place of the sweet relish. They were very good, and I'll try to post the recipe once I am no longer swamped with work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:24 pm 
Administrator

Mmm. Bacon. I didn't know you used relish at all. My mom never did.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Sorry I've been scarce around here. I've been super busy. But I found time to type this out and pass along.

Deviled Eggs w/ Bacon

12 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise (my wife used Miricle Whip instead)
1 tbsp honey mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp thinly sliced green onions
1/4 tsp blk pepper
4 strips cooked and crumbled bacon (American bacon, not the foreign kind)
2 tbsp shredded sharp cheddar

halve eggs and scoop out yolks
mix yolks and remaining ingredients
whisk mixture
refill egg halves
refridgerate until ready to serve

I think they taste better after they sit in the 'fridge overnight, myself.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:33 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Here is a recipe for my mother's very simple Milky Way cake frosting:

5 Milky Way Bars
1 Stick of Margarine
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp milk

Melt candy Bars and Margarine over low heat. When melted, remove from
heat. Add 3/4 box (approximately 3 cups) of powdered sugar and 3 tbsp of
milk, add the milk 1 tbsp at a time. Spread over cooled cake.

I substitute butter when making it. Try it over a chocolate cake. Or just eat it out of the bowl.

I'm still waiting for an excuse to make Rebellious Rose's Super Secret Shrimp Dip. Don't worry, I'll let y'all know how it turns out when I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 am 
Hera's Fiance

For anyone stuck in Hot-lanta without air conditioning:

Orange Sorbet
1C Sugar
1C Water
2 Tbs Light Corn Syrup
3 C Fresh Orange Juice

Boil 1st 3 ingredients until sugar disolves (about 45 sec.)
Allow mixture to cool, then stir in OJ.
Refrigerate until mixture is cold (optional).
Freeze in ice cream maker.
Transfer to air tight container and move to freezer to harden (optional).
Cooling before mixing should give a smoother texture. Letting cool further in a freezer for a couple of hours firms it up more.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 pm 
Administrator

I recently discovered that my ice-cream maker makes AMAZING frozen yogurt.(Heck, I recently discovered my ice-cream maker!) I've been using Greek plain yogurt (Cabot Dairies); full fat, full flavor, mixing it with fruit or whatever comes to hand, and it's incredible. So far I have made honey-strawberry-brown sugar, and I now have the ingredients for Key Lime.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:48 pm 
Hera's Fiance

My wife loves ice cream, but it doesn't love her so we have been making sorbets lately instead. We've never tried frozen yogurt. We'll have to experiment with that. Right after our jalapeno sorbet experiment, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm 
Administrator

Is my friend John's blog about how he did it with some recipes. You can throw anything in there and it comes out good; I prefer the unflavored yogurt, the plain no-sugar variety. Greek is SO perfect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next