All times are UTC

Post subject: Tahmoh Interview with Rave Magazine.com
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:54 pm 
Administrator

http://www.ravemagazine.com.au/index2.p ... 1&id=26063

Quote:
INFORMER POP CULTURE: Supernova Pop Culture Expo - Tahmoh Penikett Interview
Tuesday, 29 March 2011
Of all his roles, Canadian actor TAHMOH PENIKETT is best known for playing pilot Karl ‘Helo’ Agathon in the Battlestar Galactica reboot, a sci-fi epic about the war between humans and their synthetic counterparts, known as Cylons.

ALASDAIR DUNCAN catches up with him ahead of his appearance at the SUPERNOVA POP CULTURE EXPO to reflect on the series.

ALASDAIR DUNCAN: When I was researching for this interview, I discovered that you’re a bit of a sex symbol for Battlestar fans, some of whom make YouTube tributes. Do you ever see those?

TAHMOH PENIKETT: I’ve seen some over the years, but I never go online and seek them out! A friend of mine on Facebook sent me a link – excuse my language – for a blog called Fuck Yeah Tahmoh Penikett. It has years’ worth of photos, right through to the most recent things I’ve done. That’s the only one of those I’ve checked out. A lot of friends and family have been ribbing me about the title.

AD: Do you feel flattered by those things, or a little creeped out?

TP: You know, if a fan has the time and wants to do something like that, it’s cool, I get it. In broader terms, I’ve had a couple of fans get maybe a little too involved or a little too obsessive, although anybody who’s worked in this business could tell you similar stories.

AD: Your Battlestar character Helo was a human who fell in love with a Cylon, Athena. Is there a particular episode or arc from their story that you consider the most memorable?

TP: Helo and Athena faced a lot of animosity, a lot of distrust, and a lot of the time, those scenes were dark and difficult to play as an actor. There’s a huge turning point for Helo and Athena when their daughter Hera is kidnapped, and they realise the only way they’re going to get Hera back is if he kills Athena so she can download again on the Cylon resurrection ship. I’d been working with Grace Park, who played Athena, for a long time at that point, and had developed a rapport with and a love for her like nobody else in my career, so that was a very intense scene for us. I think Helo changed from that point on. He became even more of a man than he was before, even more steadfast and true in his convictions.

AD: Speaking of Athena, the thing I loved about Battlestar was the importance it placed on its female characters. Would you agree it was a woman-centric show?

TP: Absolutely, and I love that too. I’ve been surrounded by beautiful, strong matriarchal women all my life, on my British side and my native side, and it’s very much the theme in Battlestar Galactica; from the start, the creators envisioned that the strongest characters would be women. You look at President Roslyn, you look at Starbuck – everything that they’re put through in the show, they still persevere. They survive and move ahead, even under insurmountable odds. That’s part of the reason Battlestar struck such a chord.

AD: Another key feature of the show was its large ensemble cast...

TP: You have to understand, from the grips to the lighting and art department to the actors, every person involved in the show was proud to be a part of it. The leads, Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell, really set a precedent; they’d both had long and accomplished careers up to that point, and made us realise how important and how special it was being a part of this. Eddie was famous for going through every department and saying hello and reminding them that they were part of this amazing thing, and it wouldn’t work without them. The show won a Peabody award, and Edward
and Mary came up with this idea of the main cast all chipping in to a pool so we could buy a Peabody award for everybody on our crew. Everyone who worked on the show who was part of the main crew has an award now, and they’re very deserving of that. Talk to anybody who was involved in the show and they’ll tell you what an amazing experience it was.

AD: I’m not hugely into sci-fi but I really liked Battlestar. Would you say that’s typical for fans of the show?

TP: It’s true that many fans had never watched much sci-fi before Battlestar, but were convinced by a friend or relative to give it a chance, to ignore the outer space setting if that bothered them, because it was really a show about the things going on in the world. I’m really proud of the show for that reason.

THE SUPERNOVA POP CULTURE EXPO is held at the RNA Showgrounds from Apr 1–3. TAHMOH PENIKETT will appear on Saturday 10.30am to 5.30pm and Sunday 11am to 5pm for autograph and photo sessions, with a Q&A panel TBD. Go to www.supanova.com.au for more.
Rave Magazine - Brisbane Street Press

Post subject: Re: Tahmoh Interview with Rave Magazine.com
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32 pm 
Constable

Thanks Rose! Loved the interview. You know, the more time passes, the more I realize what an amazing show Battlestar was...and what an amazing cast it had. :clap: