It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why do I almost always *love* those dark/doomed characters??
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:20 am 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

I wrote this on Skiffy a few weeks ago. ( Here )

My Text, page 428 of the Grace Park threadOne exceptional recent piece of acting would be Sweet Eight's role, in The Face Of The Enemy 9 :

Just fantastic!
Grace has always been very good in conveying feelings only with her facial expressions and body postures.
Sweet Eight was very interesting and complex.
Frak! Why do I almost always *love* only those dark/doomed characters ???

Scrawny71 answered:
Quote:
I am, I believe, similarly afflicted to a degree. Maybe one identifies with a character who keeps their own counsel and follows their own moral compass regardless of others' attitudes; maybe one identifies with underdogs, outsiders, victims of circumstance and screw-ups. Maybe all of the above. Who knows?

Turtle10 answered:
Quote:
Don't know in general, but I think in the case of the two Sharons, there was originally a very appealing dynamic that comes down to one word--noble. In the close synonym sense of moral.

Boomer obviously cares about the people around her, a fact emphasized by her own loss of family. She's there to hurt them for reasons she can't understand or control, but her feelings of loyalty are so strong that she's fighting her very nature. She's basically crucifying herself for the people she loves. Similarly, Athena abandons the comfort and protection of everything she knows for the first feelings of real loyalty she's ever had. She is ready to sacrifice herself for Helo. And both are basically doing it alone, with the deck completely stacked against them.

I think if you as a person have much empathy, there's something very touching about that kind of lonely courage. The more doomed it is, the more noble it is. It's how we'd all like to imagine ourselves behaving in the worst of circumstances, so how can we not love, at least a little, the image of that? (Especially when it comes in a package as genuinely sweet looking as Grace Park ). Alas, I don't think the people writing the last season Of Battlestar Galactica even understood the brilliant raw material they had from Seasons 1 and 2 (and not just for the Sharons). There's a non-plot device/stupid/hack work Boomer and Athena scene that's just dying to be written. (See Across the Salt for some decent stabs at it).

"Maybe one identifies with a character who keeps their own counsel and follows their own moral compass regardless of others' attitudes; maybe one identifies with underdogs, outsiders, victims of circumstance and screw-ups."

"She's basically crucifying herself for the people she loves."

"I think if you as a person have much empathy, there's something very touching about that kind of lonely courage."

"The more doomed it is, the more noble it is."

Thoughts? Comments?

Post subject: Re: Why do I almost always *love* those dark/doomed characters??
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 pm 
Cylon Bible Thumper

because it's Grace Park

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:35 am 
Constable

Pierre wrote:
I wrote this on Skiffy a few weeks ago. ( Here )
"I think if you as a person have much empathy, there's something very touching about that kind of lonely courage."

I think there's a lot to that line. That's why it's an image you see recurring so much in fiction.

And it is Grace Park. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:30 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

Morally complex characters are appealing. They deal with the muck of life and struggle against the tides. I think Boomer represented someone unique, and the other Eights who followed shared similiar dilemmas - from Athena to Eighthena. The fact that Grace Park had little to work with but still was able to give depth to the characters (like Tricia) speaks volumes for why we feel for them despite their downward spiral.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:36 am 
Constable

Lobsel Vith

Long time no see. How's it going. :ok:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:14 pm 
Hera's Fiance

Lobsel Vith wrote:
The fact that Grace Park had little to work with but still was able to give depth to the characters (like Tricia) speaks volumes for why we feel for them despite their downward spiral.

I agree that Mrs. Park's acting is a big part of making the characters seem real and unique. Good to see you around ATS again, Mr. Vith.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 pm 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

Hi Lobsel!
What's somehow amazing is that even though Grace said "who are these characters? I don't even know them" about Sweet Eight & Pilot Eight, she gave us a fantastic piece of acting in the Webisodes.