It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Caprica -- Who's Watching?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:27 am 
Up The Riverworld Without A Paddle

The virtual world is nice... looks also "retro-futurist", à la Blade Runner (zeppelins). The story seems sometimes very different from BSG... and sometimes simply too soapish. Like it hesitates between genres.

Let me guess: of course Zoe/Robot isn't destroyed. Tyrell Graystone's wife maybe only fell into water under the bridge. And poor Papadama will maybe see Tamara again, after all?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

I watched all eps in a row. I found if far better than expected/feared. Even if far from perfect. Virtual world à la Blade Runner but less gloomy. Doesn't give the same depressing feeling.
BTW I've re-watched season 4.5. and I discovered a reference to STO in 'Islanded in a Stream of Stars' I hadn't notice the first time I saw it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:16 pm 

Jack Raby wrote:
Virtual world à la Blade Runner but less gloomy. Doesn't give the same depressing feeling.

Ah yes, the streets...
I still can hear the don't walk - don't walk... , pass now - pass now... ,
& also move on - move on... (From the Police spinners)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:38 pm 
Constable

Virtual World is my favorite pat of Caprica. Love the Blimp of Death! :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 pm 
Rook

Well, a few months late in getting to this topic. Sorry.

I liked the first half of the season. I like the idea of a genius teenager (actually two teenagers, if you count Tamara) as the prototype cylon mind. Explains so much about the anger. :lol:

I, too, would like to see Grace Park appear in a decent role. But I do love that this program has strong female characters, too (even if the two primary adult ones are each a little nuts). I'm hoping Amanda and Clarice will have a little more depth in the second half of the season.

I'm fascinated to learn much of Admiral Adama's morality came from his Uncle Sam the mob enforcer.

The V-World is great.

And I love that there's not a single lovable character in the show. The storylines themselves have been strong enough to hold my interest, as it should be. The only shipping in this show, so far, involves sending cargo off-world. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:41 pm 
Cylon

arial wrote:
I'm fascinated to learn much of Admiral Adama's morality came from his Uncle Sam the mob enforcer.

Yeah, it explains a lot. :)
No lovable characters? What Serge and Caesar/Jake? And doesn't Zoe-A's predicament strike you as a littleBoomerish?

I think that Caprica has the potential to be a better-realised cousin of BSG. The acting is just as good, Bear McCreary's music is fantastic and the whole "mood piece" vibe sits well here as compared to the end of BSG. I also think that Jane Espenson's considerable talent will prove to be better employed here than on the other show.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:10 pm 
Rook

Quote:

No lovable characters? What Serge and Caesar/Jake? And doesn't Zoe-A's predicament strike you as a littleBoomerish?

I think that Caprica has the potential to be a better-realised cousin of BSG. The acting is just as good, Bear McCreary's music is fantastic and the whole "mood piece" vibe sits well here as compared to the end of BSG. I also think that Jane Espenson's considerable talent will prove to be better employed here than on the other show.

Oh, my bad! Of course I love Serge and Caesar/Jake. I shouldn't have discounted them just because they're not human characters. However, Serge could still end up a key cylon player :think: (not that I'd blame him, given the lack of respect from the humans).

In some ways, ZoeA's predicament is like Boomer's, but Zoe chose to be involved with a fringe group and made her own avatar to benefit that group, whereas Boomer had her programming "adjusted" by Cavil before BSG began (that none of the other Numbers "remembered" about their "parents," the Final Five shows that), so one bears some responsibility for her own fate, while the other never got to think about it first. In all honesty, I'm having a problem deciding where Zoe leaves off and ZoeA becomes a separate entity, belief-wise. But ZoeA does sometimes seem like an innocent caught up in things beyond her understanding.

Love Bear's music in this series just as much as in BSG. In this one he gets to show a little more of his romantic side.

I think this is a better fit for JE, but worry that she may have too much on her plate, with her being the co-creator of Warehouse 13. (I didn't realize that until this week :oops: )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:41 am 
Constable

arial wrote:
Well, a few months late in getting to this topic. Sorry.

I liked the first half of the season. I like the idea of a genius teenager (actually two teenagers, if you count Tamara) as the prototype cylon mind. Explains so much about the anger. :lol:

Cute.

arial wrote:

That kind of faded out in the last few episodes. Just too much on the plate?

arial wrote:
And I love that there's not a single lovable character in the show. The storylines themselves have been strong enough to hold my interest, as it should be. The only shipping in this show, so far, involves sending cargo off-world. :biggrin:

I guess I've found Caprica uneven so far. It seems to be trying to establish a bunch of pieces without a strong narrative hook, which is risky. I thought the best episode was the one where Tamara and that guy explored the V-world. It had a clear sense of focus on one piece that some episodes simply lack.

I'm curious whether the final episode indicated a real change of pace, or whether it will revert to form. By that, I mean is Amanda really dead or the ZOE plot-line going to fundamentally alter? If so, perhaps that shakeup we read about had a dramatic effect of some kind. If not, then it might just be more of a tonal thing.

It will be interesting to see if it finds a rhythm, and if it can do well enough when it comes back to garner renewal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:43 am 
Constable

arial wrote:
Quote:
In all honesty, I'm having a problem deciding where Zoe leaves off and ZoeA becomes a separate entity, belief-wise.

That would an interesting topic for the show to really bore into. I'd like to see that more than the computer dating routine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:44 am 
Constable

Scrawny71 wrote:
arial wrote:

Yeah, it explains a lot. :)

Indeed. :)

So how's it going? Did Caprica air the same time in Europe, or was there a delay?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:49 am 
Cylon

NT2 wrote:
Indeed. :)

So how's it going? Did Caprica air the same time in Europe, or was there a delay?

It was ten or eleven days behind to start with, but then the Stateside broadcast apparently had a week-long hiatus while we didn't. I'm looking forward to more discussion on it when it returns.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 am 
Mayor of Dogsville

Scrawny71 wrote:

I agree that the whole "mood piece" vibe works better with Caprica than it did on Galactica. That said, I also think Caprica hasn't found its stride yet. I've yet to see much that really compares with the first two seasons of Galactica.

I hope it picks up in September. If it does wind up getting cancelled, I'd like to miss it.

I'm not so wild about Little Bill at present, but I do like "gay uncle hit man," as a friend calls him. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:53 pm 

S2 has started. I think the two first episodes are pretty bad. It seems the writers, once again, really don't know what to do with this story. Caprica isn't worth a second season imho.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:40 pm 
Constable

Actually, I thought the last episode was pretty good...one of the best so far. It managed to convey a sense of dread, which reminded me of BSG in a way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:52 am 

Caprica iz dead.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/syfy-cancels-caprica/
Quote:
It's over for Syfy's Battlestar Galactica prequel Caprica. The cable network said today that it will be pulling the show off the schedule effective immediately. The final five episodes of the sci-fi saga will air in the first quarter of 2011 and will mark the end of the series' one-season run.

Can't say I'm sad...

Quote:
The cable network just greenlighted a two-hour pilot for Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, about the young years of Ensign William Adama, which hails from Battlestar Galactica exec producer David Eick.

I guess this will look like TOS-Battlestar. :shrug:

Look here for links about that.